frogg files

"She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick." --Flannery O' Connor

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hello Again

It's a sad measure of just how long it's been since my last update that for a split second before I logged in, I couldn't remember my blogger password.

And now that I've begun, I have no idea what to say next. Oh dear.

Well, I guess I could tell you that I'm sitting in a cute little coffeeshop right now, a couple towns over from where I live, whiling away some time until the church up the street starts its eleven a.m. service. I write "eleven" because the numbers from one to six don't work on my keyboard, thanks to an unfortunate incident involving spilled tea. But the point is, I actually wanted to attend the church's 9 a.m. service. I left home a little late, and the weather was bad, and then there was a detour on the road, so I ended up arriving about ten minutes past the hour. Rushed in, found a seat, joined the congregation in singing whatever song they were singing—and then the pastor came up and gave a few words that I suddenly realized sounded kind of like a benediction. Which, as you may know, comes at the conclusion of a service, not the commencement. I had arrived just in time for the end.

D'oh.

In my defense—8 a.m.? Seriously?

It's actually been a while since I've attended any church in anything like a regular fashion (meaning, mostly I don't attend). Something about the church routine has been evoking a sense of frustrated weariness in me every time I even think about it, though I feel more drawn to God, to Christ, than I have in a long time.

So perhaps you could say I've given up church for an extra-long Lent. Except maybe for today, but we'll see. It's awfully cozy here in the coffeeshop...

3 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM , Blogger LadyD said...

    I've been waiting for a new post!! :) Great to see you the other day!

     
  • At 9:39 AM , Blogger Beth said...

    I was wondering where you'd gone. :) (Not like I can say much since I can't remember the last time I posted anything myself...)

    It seems that a lot of people are a bit church weary these days. It's not that we stopped loving God or stopped loving all of our brothers and sisters and Christ, but the church formula just seems so mundane. I've been wondering a lot lately about how to return to the early church. They were so excited, they were crazy loving on everyone (up to the point of being tossed into the arena with the lions), etc. I wonder, did they have song services? Did Paul deliver three point topical sermons when he rolled through town?

    I don't hate church--although I REALLY struggled with it this summer--but I want to find a body of believers that are really doing what they say they believe.

     
  • At 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well now, wouldn't you agree that, anyone who may happen to share your current view of church, that attending church when benedictions or exit hymns are being conducted are the best times to enter a church service?

    Missy, your timing is impeccable! Someone is certainly looking out for you.

    WB

    JerryNJ

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home