Yesterday I registered at a temp agency. I got to take a typing test, which was fun. And for once I'm not being sarcastic. I like typing tests because typing is one of the few clerical skills that I do really, really well. In fact, I ROCK at it. I don't rock at a lot of things, especially in an office setting, but typing--oh yeah, baby. Bring it ON.
So in the lobby of this temp agency, they had some washed-out watercolors of palm trees with squiggly watercolor writing underneath. It took me awhile to decipher the words on one of them; for a few minutes I was convinced that it said "such itchy palms." Then I figured out that "itchy" was actually "stately."
This happens to me a lot actually, misreading things. Once I was driving along a street in Concord, CA, and passed a Chinese restaurant called Peking Boy, but at first glance I swear I thought the sign said Peeking Boy. (Coincidentally, this restaurant was next door to an adult entertainment shop--no joke.)
One of the funniest signs I ever saw was on a lonely stretch of road near the top of New Zealand's north island. It was a wooden board with white painted lettering that said, "Will the bastard who stole my blue canvas tarp bring it back?" And no, I didn't misread that one at all.
Funny how I started out talking about one thing, but ended up somewhere completely different. This also happens to me a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, Grace, you seem to not be the ONLY on who has trouble staying on track. Let me direct your attention to some other familliar blog sites.....er wait, no. That's mean. Anyway, I like the part about the bastard. That's actually pretty funny! I understand wanting your blue tarp back...those things can be EXPENSIVE!
Hey... what are you doing posting a blog at 7:00 in the morning? Seven is they perfect time to snuggle up in you warm bed and revel in the fact that you don't have to get up... :)
So a temp agency, huh... I think that if you're going to be temping you should do it somewhere a little more fun and fancy free, like maybe, the bay area? I think Old Borgess misses you!
And yes, you do rock at typing... When I got my first temp office job I was still looking at my fingers to type! No joke! :)
Becca
Post a Comment