I had this thought the other day, that I might be a romantic pragmatist.
Then I thought, "Hmm, that might be semantically impossible."
At which point I thought, "Cool!"
I like being impossible things.
In other, much more exciting, news, I was engaged in a heated online Scrabble game with a friend the other day and played "qat" to the tune of 65 points. The best part is that I still don't know what "qat" actually means. But it's a valid word in Scrabble.
As are "wo" and "li", by the way, but that's just dumb.
Also dumb is the fact that I ended up losing the game, but let's not go there.
Apart from playing Scrabble, I finished a rather long essay this week that is part of my third-semester requirements. I wrote an elegant, insightful piece of analysis, which explained in so many words ( 7,056 to be exact) why one of my short stories sucks. Not that I used the word "sucks", of course. I believe I said it was "unsuccessful."
Semantics is a beautiful thing, isn't it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
interesting... is "semantics" singular? is there a plural? is it offensive if i write without capitalization in response to a post about good writing? ;-)
aha! good question, philip. as it happens, "semantics" is a plural noun that is usually treated (for whatever ephemeral reason) as singular. so states the oxford american dictionary, anyway.
and i am hardly going to castigate you for not capitalizing in your comment. i mean, look at mine.
Post a Comment