Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Survived the Night of the Living Mantis...

... and all I got was this stupid blog!

Ha. Kidding.

Well, I'm sure you are all no doubt on the edge of your seats wondering WHAT HAPPENED the other night after I finished writing my post about the giant praying mantis in my room. The truth is so terribly anti-climactic that I am not even going to tell you, because I guarantee that your imagination will come up with a much more exciting scenario than what actually happened.

Obviously, I lived to blog another day, and that's all that matters, right?

On another note, I finished my creative thesis! Yes, against all odds, I managed to get the thing done and sent out to my writing mentor over the weekend. Today I received her approval, so I'll be sending it to the program office this week. Whew!

Of course, I'm not quite out of the swamp just yet. I still have to send in a new short story to the office to be workshopped at the next residency in Louisville. For those who are not acquainted with high-flown literary terms like "workshop", I'll just tell you that basically the workshop is where you read other people's stories and try to say nice (or "constructive") things about them even if you hated them (the stories, not the people). You also try to highlight things that need work (or "revision") in the story. And your own story gets subjected to the same treatment (or "treatment"). It's a lot of fun (or "work")!

So yeah, I'm supposed to send in a new story tomorrow, but I'm not going to make that deadline because guess what, I don't have one finished. Why, you ask? Because I've been working on my freaking thesis! And I'm burned out! And tired! I haven't been getting enough sleep, weird bugs are taking up residence in my room, and I just can't deal with writing yet another story! AAAARRGGGGHHHH!

I think someone needs a hug. (Hint: it's me.)

1 comment:

Abbie Nelson said...

Perhaps...the Mantis' absence in the morning can be explained...differently?
Perhaps instead of eating you...you ate it?