Monday, September 22, 2008

The Post of Despair! Don't Even Think About Trying To Escape

Today is the first day of autumn. That means summer is officially over. Boo. I'm depressed.

On a more positive note, I noticed that there was a lot more water in the Los Angeles river when I walked along the trail again today on my lunch break. Granted, "a lot more water" isn't saying much when it was barely a trickle before, but really, there was practically a current this time. There were also a lot more egrets, which was kind of weird, because earlier in the season I only ever saw one out there, hanging out by him/herself. I don't know where all these new ones came from. I think they may be planning an invasion.

On a more random note (if that's even possible), I spent a good part of the day considering the term "ontological despair" and wondering if the human capacity for it is a possible indicator for the existence of God. I also turned over the possibility of using the phrase in a project I was writing for work. Because hey, couldn't ontological despair be a good selling point for going on, say, a luxury cruise? Like, "Bid bon voyage to ontological despair — with fares from just $599!"

OK, now that I see it in "print", it sounds pretty dumb. But trust me, it sounded cool in my head when I was on my walk. (And you have to admit, $599 would be a freaking steal for escaping the unbearable horror of being.)

Did I mention that I'm really depressed about summer being over? I am.

No comments: