Today I went to Mass at a Catholic church for the first time in my life. Contrary to what I might have expected, growing up as I did in a very strictly Protestant sect, I did not get struck by lightning the moment I crossed the Catholic threshold. A huge relief, since that would have put a big damper on the whole occasion. Instead, I really enjoyed the experience, apart from the rather severe wooden pews that had clearly been designed with the intention of keeping everyone in them as uncomfortable as possible and therefore wide awake. We'd barely been sitting for five minutes before one of my friends leaned over and whispered, "Now I know why Catholics stand so much."
The service was led by the fifth grade of the church's school, which was, of course, adorable. The kids had even made "Lenten Activity" booklets, which some of the children handed out at the entrance. Each page is a different color and represents a week of Lent. Each week features an activity, charmingly handwritten by one of the fifth graders (I presume).
Week 1: "Pray for young people this week." I note with interest that nowhere in the book does it say to "pray for old people." Maybe that would have sounded disrespectful, but it seems sad to just leave them out. On the other hand, maybe "Pray for everybody" was considered a little too vague. Or maybe they just tossed a coin and the young people won. Next year, old people!
Week 2: "Do a special act of kindness this week." At least they didn't say "random" instead of "special." Although I am a fan of the word "random" in just about any other context.
Week 3: "Get up 15 minutes early... to pray." Being a fan to a fault of ellipses, I applaud the trenchant use of them here. Also my own use of the word "trenchant."
Hmm, good thing "Be humble" isn't one of the specified activities in the booklet. On the other hand...
Week 4: "Practice being patient." Yikes. Well, I guess there's plenty of practice to be had on L.A. freeways. Unfortunately.
Week 5: "Give food to a food pantry." I don't know why, but every time I read that, I think of the food pantry as this giant mouth, waiting to gobble up the food you're going to give it.
Week 6: "Do not waste anything this week." I hope that doesn't include time, or I'm in trouble.
But if I can be serious for a moment (and yes, I know that's a big "if"), I actually really like the season of Lent. I know that probably sounds weird, if not spiritually masochistic, but I do. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with it, so it seems somehow novel, but I think it's a fantastic idea, this setting aside of weeks to review life in the light of one's faith and prepare ourselves, body and soul, for Easter. When we participate in Lent, we are giving ourselves the opportunity to experience the wonderful mystery of that day in a deeper, richer way when it comes, because we took time in advance to contemplate its meaning, and to make space in our hearts for the Resurrection and the Life.
I don't think Lent is just about doing good works, nor is it about giving things up. It's about taking stock of who we are, and reflecting on who we want to be, and facing the hard truth that the former falls far short of the latter. It's about looking in the mirror and recognizing our failures, but instead of despairing, finding joy in the pursuit of the One who gives chance after chance; who says he can give us new hearts and new spirits; who says at last, "I make all things new."
And to that I bow my head and say, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Grace, I really enjoyed this. I like the idea of Lent as a time to realize just how far we fall short, not to make us feel guilty but to increase our joy as Easter approaches and we think of the victory Jesus won for us and the new life he gives us. Kudos on getting out of your eccelesiastical comfort zone!
P.S. It may seem scandalous that I deleted a previous comment, but actually I just wanted to leave this with my wordpress tag rather than gmail. :)
ha, no worries, joy. thanks for reading and commenting!
Love your last paragraph! It's so true! Awesome!
Amen and amen! My understanding of Lent when growing up was the concept of "giving something up" It wasn't until I was an adult that I really grasped the concept of experiencing sacrifice (as if giving up chocolate can compare to giving up one's life) and then the joy of having it again. I enjoy Lent and Easter much more than Christmas. I take stock of myself (which I should do throughout the year, but that is part of the problem) and my faith and love for Christ is strengthened.
Aunt B
I totally like the idea of Lent too! I love your take on it. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment