Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Scary Stuff

I'm not a big fan of being scared.

I don't do well with scary movies, for example. I find it very hard to convince myself that "it's just a movie." Oh, I realize that it's fictional on some abstract, intellectual level. But on a heart-pounding, visceral, gut-wrenching level, it seems all too real.

I'll never forget the time I watched "Pet Cemetery." It was late at night (of course), and it was just me, my brother, his girlfriend, and my boyfriend in the house. I think I almost cried when the movie was over, and not from an overdose of sentiment. No, it was out and out terror. I made my boyfriend check every single room of the house before he left, especially under my bed and in my closet. (I would have asked my brother, but he was also terrified. He and I shared a room that night. And no, I'm not telling you how old we were.)

One time, years ago, I had to go to Knott's Scary Farm, back when I worked with the YMCA and was a volunteer youth leader for the jr. high kids. I did NOT want to go, but it was a field trip for the kids, and I had to chaperone. For those of you who have not had the dubious privilege of experiencing Knott's Scary Farm, let me just say this: if you have a heart condition, or are even remotely highly strung, you should avoid it at all costs.

It's not just the people dressed in terribly realistic costumes of werewolves, witches, and other creatures of the night, who hang out in the shadows until you walk by and then rush out at you without warning. They're scary, alright, but since you can usually spot them before they jump, run, or slide on their knees out toward you, it's harder to be caught off guard. But when you go inside the mazes--all bets are off. Take a clean pair of underwear along; trust me, you'll need it.

I was in one of the mazes with some of the other jr. high leaders, and I was clutching the backpack of one of the guys, trying to stick as close as possible to safety. The thing about the mazes is that the passages are so narrow. If something reaches out of the shadows, there really is no escape. I was also trying to walk with my eyes closed and it wasn't working too well.

Then I had the sensation of someone following close behind me. I looked over my shoulder and screamed!!! A monster! RIGHT BEHIND ME!!! I didn't stop to think, but acted swiftly. I was still holding onto my friend's backpack, so I did what any normal, red-blooded, terrified female would do--with superhuman, adrenaline-boosted strength, I swung my friend around and shoved him straight into the arms of the monster, and took off running!

Not my finest hour, I admit. But greatly amusing for everyone around me.

All this to say, Halloween is not exactly my favorite holiday. I think it's strange to "celebrate" death by dressing up as...well, a dead person or a zombie or whatever. It's ugly and scary and wrong. On the other hand, the free candy is a definite perk. If you get your hands on Bottlecaps, save me some! They're my favorite!

So, the moral of my story: have fun this Halloween, stay safe, and don't invite me to any scary movies, unless you are prepared to hold my hand and listen to my whimpering and moaning all the way through. There, you have been warned! Mmmuu-hahahahahaha!!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, so at one point you did have a boyfriend though!









yes that is all ;-)

grackyfrogg said...

yes, but then he found out i couldn't cook.

Anonymous said...

Mate, don't see that movie "the ring", man that is one scary film!
I slept with the nightlight on that night (...an maybe the next).

grackyfrogg said...

too late, i DID see it, and yes I was absolutely scared out of my little brain! I had to watch another movie immediately afterward to clear my brain of the horrifying images...Fellowshing of the Ring! (Funny, two "ring" movies.) But the black riders and the eye of Sauron were infinitely preferable to demonic little girls and possessed video tapes and everything else that was awful about the RING.

Anonymous said...

You know what made it really scary. Remember at the start when that chick watched the video an you saw her face turn sort of zombie like, well if you pause it frame by frame (don't ask why we were doing this) when this happened, all these weird pictures come up that you couldn't see in real time, like chopped off fingers an other weird stuff. Scared the crap out of me an my flatmate. There was no way we were ganna answer the phone that night......"seven days". (I think it was 7?)

Anonymous said...

I despise horror flicks. From what I've seen they have almost no redeeming qualities. I like a story to come to completion, don't most people? What was infuriating about the Ring was not little Demon Girl, or Freaky Video, but the fact that /nothing was resolved/ at the end of the movie!! We don't know why the girl is like she is, why she won't stop, where she came from, how she can do the things she does, why the heck she's so scary, /nothing!/ All we know is that if we save ourselves we can create more carnage... oh yeah, that's a great plot! So much for the great virtues like Self Sacrifice and Courage. Nothing really made sense there... the only thing that could have been almost redeeming was sleuthing to figure out where she came from and how that tied in with the movie... but that fell flat on its face when you notice she can still kill whether she's in her stupid little well hole or note - or did no one else notice the human girl at the very start and her boyfriend died... and then a week or so later Central Character Lady frees her... and hey whoa you shouldn't do that because now she's free to kill again... oh wait, she already could! Gah!

Ghostship was just as bad... only not near as well made. When the movie starts off with a gore scene you know it ain't going to be good... yeah, so that one isn't as scary but basicaly you've got Mr. I-Work-For-the-Devil who's job is to kill people and fill his 'quota' of souls for Hell... yeah, sure... I can let that slid. The real stupid thing about it is that hey yo! at the end, nothing has changed except Miss Centeral-Character knows what's going on.... but she can't stop it, and there goes Mr. I-Work-For-the-Devil on his dirty job again... hmm, good plot resolving guys! Not to mention the fact that his first ship load of people who she rescued are saved from Eternal Damnation because, uh, they aren't going down with the ship, but get to ghostily float/fly/swim to the surface... riiiighhtt... even in make believe and massive willful suspension of disbelief that doesn't work well...

bah. horror flick writers/directors whatever are better of on track teams where they are /supposed/ to run circles!


[/End Rant]
Philip

grackyfrogg said...

LOL wow strong feelings there phil! actually i totally agree with what you said about the Ring and all the plot flaws--they were legion, it's true. it was just hard to realize it while actually watching though because of all the carnage and demon-possessed videotapes and stuff.

cant comment on ghostship because i didnt see it, but it sounds pretty lame.

Anonymous said...

Great, you've ruined Ghost Ship for me now, I mean I no the entire plot an the end now. Guess I'll watch some other quality movie like Friday the 13th.
I still say The Ring with all its flaws was one scary movie. But give me a good old Arnie action film like Predator anyday, how that didn't win a Oscar is beyond me.

Bri.

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying the Ring didn't freak me out, it did! But it on the intellectual level it also was no good.

Ghost Ship - yeah, totally not sorry if I ruined that for anyone ;-) A- it's beeen out for a while B- it's a favor so you won't see it.