So, I'm sorry, but was the first Deuce Bigalow movie such an amazing, box-office success that it actually warranted the making of a sequel? The idea seems awfully unlikely, if you ask me, but you didn't, and obviously the studio execs didn't either, because they went ahead and made it. I'll probably see it as many times as the first one, i.e., not at all. Yawn.
Studio execs really SHOULD ask me about these things, by the way.
In general, I am not a big fan of sequels. About the only exceptions to this rule are: Toy Story 2 (WAY better than the first), Terminator 2 (but NOT T3) and the Star Wars trilogy (that would be the original movies, NOT the latest ones).
I became very familiar with Toy Story 2 a few years ago, when I did some babysitting several times for friends who had two little girls. It just so happened that all they EVER wanted to watch was Toy Story 2. I think one time I tried to see if they wanted to watch something else (because as good as the movie is, there is only so much of it I can take, being an adult human), and they indicated that they might be interested in Barney and his wacky, loving adventures. So naturally we watched Toy Story 2, because there is absolutely no amount of Barney that I can take, being an adult human.
(My sister had it even worse when she was a nanny for a family in Napa. That was during the height of Teletubby popularity, poor girl.)
Other awful sequels: Matrix 2 and 3, Jaws 2-4, Bridget Jones 2, Jurassic Park 2 and 3, and I didn't see this one but I have it on good authority (i.e., various friends) that it's bad as well, Blair Witch 2. (Feel free to add to the list in the comments section!)
Well, anyway, at least no one has decided to make an A.I. sequel. That's one thing we can ALL be grateful for.
N.B. Despite my general antipathy toward sequels, I have to admit that I am positively panting for the release of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. Can't get enough of Johnny Depp in pirate garb and eye makeup! Arrrr!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
How about Johnny Depp in Chocolate;) But I guess that's a remake, not a sequel.
Zorro II is coming out - http://www.zorro.com/news-loz.html
wht are you talking about? Jurassic Park 2 and 3 rocked! You can't have too much dinosaur carnage, especially when it involves people doing stupid things. And things like movie two "thank God for island B" - gosh, that was convienent plot foundation... so was number 3 "Thank God for island C"? hehe, pretty much. it rocked, especially when the little dinos started making noises about the approaching helocopter that sounded suspiciously like the word... uh, "helocopter" actually.... ahh, yes, but maybe this is all because I get to watch these movies with my brother and Dad, can't go wrong then ;)
I also would add that Aliens is better than Alien. Man I love that movie! :) I completely agree that T2 and TS2 were much better than their predecessors. And I also am waiting eagerly for PC2, although I'm a bit wary because I don't see how it could be anything but a letdown after the first movie.
RIGHT ON! I'm with ya ... and I hadn't heard about the Pirates sequel. Thanks for the info. Yum on Cap'n Jack Sparrow!
is that right, andi? interesting! well, i just bought a bottle of pinto noir port on my recent trip to napa...very unusual, and very very good. think i'll save it for something special...
ugh, i meant PINOT, of course, not PINTO. goodness. i am having a terrible time spelling today! pinto noir would indeed be unusual, wouldn't it??
Funny, "Pinto noir" seems to fit perfectly into this discussion of sequels. I don't see how it could possibly be worse than the original pinto, plus the name is exceptionally cooler.
Sad, bridget jones 2 was bad? I had heard something to that effect, but no one had come out and said it. That is unfortunate.
PS Studio execs don't consult you before they make big decisions? That's absolutely ridiculous. No wonder the box office is dropping.
i know, littlekappa, i know! isn't it terrible? what are they THINKING! and i don't even live that far away! probably i've met a few of them anyway in the store where i work. oh if only they realized...
as for bridget jones 2: yes, i think it's lame. of course, others are free to disagree, but they are wrong.
and mark: i am not interested in seeing charlie and the chocolate factory, because i thought the first one was fine, and this one looks lame to me, but anyway, quite frankly johnny depp looks scary in the trailers. if i were a child, i would run away from him! i didn't think it was really possible for him to look bad, but there you go. (oh wait, i was forgetting edward scissorhands...he didn't look attractive in that either. paper-white is not a good skin color for him).
Post a Comment