Time for a new installment of the popular series, Reasons Why I Am Still Single. Today's topic: domestic organization, inspired by my recent, abortive attempt at using the popular software program, Quicken, which everyone else praises to the skies and which I would like to tie to a stone and throw into the bottom of a lake.
This sudden outburst is the result of the fact that I decided I would do some organizing today, because I feel like my life is spinning just a little bit out of control. I have papers stacked in piles, and piles stacked on other piles, and everything is everywhere and I don't know where to start to get on top of it all.
So I went to Office Depot and bought some filing folders today. (I also bought some Pilot roller ball pens, because I have an addiction to writing implements. I know, it's very weird.)
Well, I got home, and began bravely to sort through the fray. I also tried to use Quicken. Both of these activities were, in some measure, terrible mistakes.
Generally I picture myself as a laid-back, mellow, easy-going sort of gal, who likes lazing around in the summer sun and keeping quietly to herself as she reads a good book or something. When I'm organizing, though, the picture changes and suddenly I'm like Vampira, baring fangs and hissing wildly at anyone who is stupid enough to come along and try to show me an easier or better or more efficient way of doing whatever it is that I'm trying to do. This is because I am dimly aware, in the recesses of my organizationally-challenged mind, that there MUST be better, more efficient, and easier ways of doing it, but I simply don't have the mental acuity to figure it out, and I hate it that I don't. My brain just isn't wired for compartmentalization. Everything in there is always jumbled around in a jostling heap! So it shouldn't surprise anyone that my desk is jumbled too.
Honestly, I feel sorry for anyone who has to be around me when I am in "organization mode," as I am at the moment, because I really become a horrible person, all snappish and short-tempered and mean. Nothing puts me in a worse mood than trying to untangle my financial records and reconcile bank statements and file all the random bits and pieces of paper that somehow purport to represent my life.
So what does all this have to do with being single? Well, I have this awful fear that men are on the lookout for three main things when it comes to finding a mate, and they are as follows, not necessarily in any particular order:
1) Someone who cooks well. (Um, no.)
2) Someone who will mother and nurture him. (Sigh.)
3) Someone who is highly organized and detail-oriented and can function as a PA for him at a moment's notice when needed. (If you don't know that this is not a very good description of yours truly, you have not been reading this post.)
I don't even have a best-of-three going for me here! Yikes.
I do wish I were more organized though (and culinary, and--well, not mothering exactly, but maybe nurturing). I wish that I was able to tally up clever lists of things to do, and when to do them, and then mark them off neatly with pretty check marks when they are done. I wish that I was able to remember to pay bills on time, instead of a week late (in spite of reminders that I put on calendars). I wish that I could keep my desk nice and neat, with everything tucked into a proper place. For that matter, I wish that I could find my desk.
Mostly, though, I wish I could find a man who likes being organized, and likes doing the organizing, AND doesn't care that I hate both. Since it is unlikely that such a breed of man should exist, I will wish for the next best thing.
I wish for a man rich enough to enable me to hire my own PA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Odd, odd. Long before reading your post, I'd come to consider the things you suppose "girl" traits to be traits most men are well-suited to. Men have naturally smaller and more rigid minds -- much better for organizing things in drawers and stacks. Men are mastered by their stomachs -- I have never known a man who cooked who was not a very good cook, and I have rarely met a women who cooked who was not bad at it. As for the final trait -- "mothering" -- well is a man looking to be cared-for or is he looking for a companion and friend? What are you looking for? There is no place for such unequalness in any true adult relationship.
i like the way you think, porter. almost seems a pity that...well, but never mind.
i sometimes suspect that men may say they want a companion and friend, but really what they want (though they don't realize or admit it consciously) is a mother-PA. i'm more than willing to be proved wrong about this, as you may imagine.
as for what i am looking for...let's just say that reason #288 for the frogg's singleness is the fact that she is inordinately picky, nor will she commit herself where she is not inordinately wanted.
um, since i'm always nice and blunt with you, may I ask... do you actually meet guys? cause i think that would help the situation heaps!
oh beautiphil, you must know better than that! :) meeting guys is not the problem. meeting ones that impress me, now that is a challenge.
Men may "say" and "really want" though "they don't admit it" -- well, whatever they please. Who gives a damn about men? It is a man one wants, certainly -- or, put from a perspective more natural to me: Girls are of no use or interest to me whatever. I hope for and long for that girl -- yes that one -- who is not "a girl" anymore than she is a lawnmower -- she is not a kind of a thing -- she is a soul and she is she.
prettily put, my friend. well, i hope you find her.
Funny post gracky! I think it's great that you've somehow reached #287... :) Someday you should really write the list, it would be quite fascinating I'm sure...
I thought it was interesting though that your 'top three' match in no way what I would rank 'top three', and it gave me pause. It seems to me that we as women, especially single women, pick what we don't have and label them as what men want and hence the reason why we aren't in a relationship. Like one of mine would definitely be that I think guys want someone less dominant than them, you know like someone who will let them be in charge. Who know if guys really want this, but the fact is that I have a hard time being submissive and meak and all of that so to me it must be something they want, cause I don't have it.
I wonder if guys do the same thing...
such venerable perspicacity, amiga! very good point. but perhaps our tendency to project those things we don't have as being desires of the opposite sex can be blamed in part on our well-meaning friends/acquaintances saying things like, "well, but you are such a great person. and so talented! why don't you have a boyfriend?" and it just doesn't seem sufficient to shrug shoulders and say, "i have no idea." so we come up with all sorts of reasons instead, to keep from feeling bad about ourselves because we are (apparently) unwanted.
(see how i like shifting blame, btw? reason #289.)
but i think the next time someone asks me why i don't have a boyfriend, i am going to tell them, "it's because i'm an alien." or perhaps, "because i'm a lawnmower." that should shut them up. :)
@becca - I think you're right. I'm not going to flatter myself and say I'm a total go-getter, who leads everywhere, takes charge in a great way, and all that stuff. But I'm blunt and don't just submit and blindly follow, so I have some of those 'domineering' qualities. But really, I don't like it when I have to tiptoe around a girl because she's so, uh, wimpy (for lack of a euphemism). I would be much more attracted to a girl who can keep pace with me, give as good as she gets, etc.
So i think you're right, so just don't sell yourself short.
Then again, there's always Gracky's problem of finding guys who are good enough.... yeah, that's another problem. Stay away from the frogs (not Froggs) and go for the princes.
I think you should just burst into tears and sobbingly ask them whyyyyyy, whyyyyyyy in that nancy kerrigan kind of way. That at least might make them think twice about asking the next time...
Also I'd like to point out that I spelled meek wrong above... see, I'm so adverse to being meek that I can't even spell it!
Honestly, i think you overestimate men. Being one, i think i can safely say, men are much more animalistic than you realize. Although some of the qualities you mentioned might be of interest to a man, the man has three main needs to be filled: Sleep, Norishment, and Sex. The priority order of these three depends solely on the individual. Sleep? well, he doesn't need you for that. Nourishment? believe it or not, most men would prefer chili cheese fries to roast duck. Sex? you're on your own there.
Be encouraged, there is a beast out there looking for you to make him some chili cheese fries.
As far as organizing goes...i know some animals who can organize with the best of them...al a beaver
and we have a winner in the "make the frogg laugh out loud with your comment" contest! which i realize is a very unwieldy name for a contest, but my creativity has been sucked dry by trying to come up with a catchy opening paragraph for an article that was due today.
but anyway, congratulations skwerlman7! and thanks for stopping by.
oh and becca, you were definitely a runner-up with your nancy kerrigan "whhyyyyyyy" suggestion. :)
Post a Comment