Friday, February 10, 2006

If Anyone Was Wondering...

...what to get me for Valentine's Day, I will tell you.

I want a ticket to the performance of Mozart's Requiem, playing at Walt Disney Concert Hall on 2/22, 2/23, or 2/24 at 8pm. One ticket is fine--you don't even have to go with me. Just SEND me there, if you prefer (although in my defense, I am 5'7", brunette, brown-eyed, intelligent, funny, and have really straight white teeth.)

There, that was easy, wasn't it? Oh except maybe I should have mentioned that they are all sold out. So if you swing this, I will not only be grateful, but impressed, too! I will even go so far as to dedicate an entire blog post to saying, "Thank you."

Speaking of Valentine's Day, does anyone have a good V-Day story they want to share? It can be soppy-romantic, and I won't make fun of you, just this once. Or it can be really funny, and then you will get a prize (called My Gratitude). The only rule is, it can't be "well, I was really disappointed when he/she didn't do such and such." Don't want to hear the whining. I want to hear a GOOD story, ok?

If you don't have one, feel free to make one up. Or tell me what you'd like to do for someone for Valentine's, or what you would consider a fun/beautiful/romantic date idea. Just don't do it in a whiny way, such as for example, "Oh if only SOMEone would take me out to Yamashiro's for dinner where we would have such a lovely view of LA (except for that dumb TV Guide sign), and then we could go for a walk on the beach afterward, under the moonlight, but nobody loves me and I'm going to be all alone this Valentine's Day for the hundredth year in a row, and I really wish someone would watch Pride & Prejudice the A&E version with me while we cuddle on the couch sipping red wine, but I guess I'll just have my date with a big tub of Rocky Road as usual, and I'm just so sad that I'm single, don't you think it's sad, I do because I really wish I wasn't single and someone would give me a nice big diamond ring and a box of chocolates, only it better not be See's because EVERYone gets See's, no I want Godiva at the very least, but too bad I'm single and no one's going to get me ANYthing."

Ugh. I think I made myself ill just writing that.

Although come to think of it, dinner at Yamashiro's, followed by sipping shiraz and eating chocolate in front of a romantic movie at home, would make for a pretty good Valentine's date.

Anyway, to recap: whining=bad, romantic/funny/cute story/date idea=good. Got it?

And don't forget the Requiem tickets for yours truly. (Is it weird that I want tickets for a funeral choral piece for Valentine's Day? Probably, but I don't care.)

PS if no one comments, I am going to feel a little foolish, and that would NOT be a good gift to give me for Valentine's Day. Hint hint.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey ya Grace, well the only story I have is, I snuck Kim's keys away from here an put a bunch of your as expected roses on the passenger seat for a little (but very effective) suprise followed by a evening diner an bottle of Fijoa wine on the beach. It all went down very well as it was last minute unexpected sort of stuff.
Suprise is key I think. Only problem is, what todo this year....tommorro! Bees

grackyfrogg said...

well, i'll tell you what someone did for me once. it will sound cheesy, but i thought it was very sweet and creative. he snuck over to my house the night before valentine's day, and put hershey kisses everywhere...on the driveway leading up to the porch, on my car, IN my car...then he left a card on my front seat that said "now i can say i've kissed the ground you walk on."

come on everyone, say it with me... AAWWWWWWWW. :)

by the way, bees, thanks for stepping up and being the first to comment! hey you and kim have fun tomorrow, k? (and for all you folks who aren't in NZ or elsewhere down under, please don't panic...valentine's day is still two days away for us!)

Anonymous said...

I remember one funny Valentine day. This guy asked me to go out for dinner and took me to an ice cream parlor/restaurant place. We got burgers or something and he was trying very hard to impress me by ordering in French (in an ice cream parlor!) When the food came, he shook up the catsup that was on the table, only to discover the lid wasn't on and catsup went flying over the back of the booth onto a lady sitting behind us wearing (what else?) a white shirt or sweater. I wanted to laugh but I felt sorry for the guy. When the check came...he didn't have enough money so I had to pay for the meal as well. I think we went out one other time...and he didn't speak any French!
A.B.

SingingCowgirl said...

Hey A.B.

That has got to be the best story ever. I was busting up laughing so hard that my dog came in the house just to see what the commotion was all about. Thanks for that.

Gracky, the best chocolate, don't forget, is that belgian chocolate in Old Town Pas. You know, the one with the GREEK font? mmmm....good.

If anyone IS able to get tix to the Requiem, get an extra for me. That would be fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - I am tempted to swipe those ideas for my perfect Valentine's Day! Actually, this year, I don't know what Dr. Pepper is going to do. He has reservations at a place, but he won't tell me where it is. Fun! In return, I got him comedy club tickets. I don't know that we're romantic, but we're pretty darn good at getting each other what we want!

Happy Valentine's - and I hope you get those tickets!

grackyfrogg said...

that would be leonidas, cowgirl. and don't they have the BEST hot chocolate too! wow. i should go there again soon...

aunt b (i dont care, i'm still going to call you that), that was an AWESOME story!

and Pepper, happy valentine's day to you too! my regards to the good doctor; i have no doubt whatever he's got up his sleeve, you guys will have a great time! have fun!!

Philip said...

Here's my story - and while it isn't specifically for Single's Awareness Day, it does include a girl, and going out on a date, so it counts.

This story begins two weeks ago on a Sunday evening. My friends called me up to join them at a local bar for some pool. Two of my very good guy friends, and two other friends, a guy and a girl (not together). Now this my friend, (shall we call her Rachel?) mentioned that she likes to make cakes, so I randomly said, "Hey, you can make me a cake!" to which she asked, "When's your birthday?"

Now, my birthday is October, and hasn't even happened this year! But just to be facetious I said "Tomorrow!" I mean, who's going to believe you when you spring your birthday on them mere hours before it happens? Well, she was a bit unbelieving for a moment until my awesome friend piped up and backed me up. With two of us saying it she believed. So she decided to make me a birthday cake sometime that week.

The next evening she left me a voicemail to wish me happy birthday, still unaware. Then the following day again her housemate (whom I've known longer and should know better) wished me happy birthday.

That Thursday I asked her if she'd like to go get dinner sometime, say Sunday? You could bring the cake and we could eat it at the restaurant. Dress up all nice? No? Okay, just kinda nice. Cool.

Sunday rolls around again. I decide to go in jeans and a a dress shirt because I feel that my other outfit was too nice and I'd hate to outdress the girl on a date (that'd be bad right?)

Uh, oh, she shows up wearing a skirt (she never wears them) and a real nice top. Crap.

Now I planned on telling her during or after dinner that it actually wasn't my birthday, but I couldn't contain myself. When I showed her my driver's lisence, she walked off in a huff for a 10minute cool down walk before she'd go with me to dinner. Hmmm, it's Superbowl Sunday, the first _two_ places we tried to go to were closed! This wasn't a formal date, more of a friend-date, so I didn't get reservations anywhere.

Finally we found a place and had a nice dinner.

But let's see, I underdressed, tricked her about my birthday causing her to miss a real birthday party for a friend because she was stressing and busy making the cake, I didn't do good on the restaurant. Oh yeah, and she'd had a real stink week and day to top it all off...

Reasons #37,23,45, and 38 that Phil isn't with a girl? (I don't have as many reasons as you, so the numbers are lower)



and that started out like a real good story, and then I was distracted for a good hour and it's late and I have no drive to actually write well. Sorry, hope that was all coherent.

Anonymous said...

Cowgirl! how the heck are you? I forgot the best part of the story..as we were leaving the restaurant the guy wondered out loud if he should ask for an application to work there. I am not kiddding! I'm still not sure why I went out with him a second time.
A.B.

grackyfrogg said...

ok aunt b, NOW i think you're making it up!!! are you kidding? that is hilarious!

i think you should get uncle mark to post a valentine's day story. does he have any good ones?

and phil, oh phil...i hurt for you, friend. :) is she still mad at you?

interesting how sometimes what seems like a good, funny idea at the time turns out to be not so much. i had a friend who enlisted the aid of a police officer friend of his to help him propose (in what he thought would be a funny way) to his fiancee, by pulling her over for speeding, but the thing is, she had had so many tickets that if she got pulled over one more time she would get her license suspended, so she was a hysterical wreck...then the officer tells her he has to take her "downtown" or something, and brings her to the car, where my friend is inside, waiting to propose...she was crying, scared, etc...i mean, he literally thought he had ruined his chances at marriage. well luckily for him (VERY luckily) she said yes, and they are still happily together to this day. just had a baby this year, in fact! so bad dates CAN be overcome, it seems...or in this case, incredibly bad proposals! :)

Anonymous said...

beautiphil! you just brought a huge smile to my dreary morning! Well, you and everyone else in this comment round, but your story really took the cake ;) in my opinion.

Reminds me, in a totally non-valentine's related way, about another awkward driver's license reveal.

My friend was asked out by a guy who was afraid he was too old for her, and so lied about his age. As I recall when they met, she was 21 and he told her he was 24. After they were dating he said, oh I have to admit I lied, I'm really 25. She thought, no big deal. Well then, later, when they were really a 'couple' he said, I'm so sorry, but I have to admit I wasn't entirely truthful, I'm really 26. She thought, okay, still not a huge deal.

Then one day at while hanging out with him and his sister, my friend said something referring to the fact that her boyfriend was 26, and the sister goes, 26? He's not 26... he's 27!! And they had to get the license out to prove it and everything.

I think they got over it, though.

(Side story: This friend was my roomate, and in the mornings her boyfriend would come pick her up while I was still sleeping. While waiting for her to finish getting ready he would often prepare for me some sort of stuffed animal display for when I woke up. My favorite by far was when I woke up and the stuffed animals (hers, not mine... please don't walk away from this story thinking I have stuffed animals) were inside of bunny slippers, in a race for the bathroom. It really was an awesome way to wake up in the morning.)

:)

Anonymous said...

I promise I am not making it up...his name was Ted; your grama thought he was kinda strange...she was right!
A.B.

Anonymous said...

ummm... no story... but I HAVE STRAIGHT TEETH TOO!! ...ladies??
--timbo

grackyfrogg said...

ah timbo! are you still in europe???

ladies, it's true. he has very straight teeth! AND he looks really studly in a fighter pilot flight suit.

at least...i sure hope timbo is who i think he is (my brother). otherwise, i might be all wrong. and this will be awkward.

Philip said...

so it's v-day now, so do I win the contest since two Froggs liked my story? :-D

I think I should get a flower or something since my day will consist of helping run a concert... with no date :-(

grackyfrogg said...

hmm, there is room for only one frogg at the lily pad, phil, and c'est moi!! :)

(although i admit to being related to three people who have commented here...however, none of those three mentioned your story!)

i don't have a flower to give you, but you have my most sincere wish for a Happy Valentine's Day! how's that for a prize? but you do have to share it with everyone else. ;)

love to all...

Philip said...

Whoops, for some reason I thought of becca as your sister, but I know that's singingcowgirl. my bad.

and for the record, she's not still mad at me. I went over and apologized a few days later at the advice of a mutual female friend.

we hang out :)

grackyfrogg said...

very understandable mistake, phil. there are actually people who think becca and i are two halves of the SAME person, so i can see why you would think she was my sister at the very least! ha!

anyway, i'm glad you and your friend are still friends! :)