The cowgirl was home this past week, and one night we were sitting in the living room chatting over cups of tea, when she turned to me and said, "Did you hear that Leo died?"
I stared at her. The words were too magical to be believed. "What? Really?"
"Yeah."
"How??"
"I don't know. The lady I gave him to said she just found him dead one morning. He'd been singing his heart out the night before."
I glowered. "I bet." I was all too acquainted with Leo's "singing."
The cowgirl and I then fell silent for a moment, and I'd like to say that I felt a twinge of conscience for all my Leo-hating now that I knew he had kicked the bucket, but I would, of course, be lying. I am not sorry at all. If I had known how to dance a jig, I would have. But I didn't. So I contented myself with inward rejoicing. Of which there was plenty.
In the midst of my doubtless unholy glee, though, I was also a trifle annoyed. I had wished for Leo to die many a time when he lived here, but would he oblige me? No! Not on your life! At last, after ages of enduring his demonic, achingly painful shrieks, the cowgirl FINALLY takes him away from this house, and gives him to some lady who only has to put up with it for a couple months before he just... keels over one day. Peacefully, with no complaints or resistance. Argh, that jerk (Leo, not the lady)! Even in death he mocks me!
I guess I'd better watch what I say, though. I would hate to have that little avian Fury come back to haunt me. Gah. What a horrible fate that would be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hallelujah! One time as a guest I slept in the same room as Leo. After a fun late night, at some insanely early hour, we were awakened by loud screams. It’s amazing how much volume can come from a tiny creature. After reaching the end of my rope I got up and shrieked by own whistle right at Leo (I pride myself in how loud I can whistle). I think he liked it. RIP
he probably DID like it. he was a sadist.
I'm happy for you and your loss ;-)
quite the post of links...
I was having a conversation recently in which I said, "If I had a bird I would shoot it."
That sounds suspicious...I think perhaps it wasn't a coincidence that he met his end after a particularly lengthy concert...
ha, eldila! interestingly enough, my brother expressed a similar thought last night after i told him about leo's demise. he thought it was a little weird. the bird had seemed pretty healthy after all, while he was living here. and while he was certainly no spring chicken, birds usually do live longer than other pets. so what prompted such a sudden death?
i thought for awhile that maybe he died of happiness, having finally gotten away from me (for whom he felt a clear and oft-expressed disdain) and ended up in a house with other cockatiels who were allowed to roam at will outside of their cages (i really wonder about this lady).
then i wondered if maybe the other birds banded together against him, taking law (and concern for sanity) into their own hands. or wings, or whatever. perhaps leo was a victim of fowl play??
oh that was awful. :)
Post a Comment