Thursday, November 16, 2006

Still Kickin' it in Kentucky...

I have been absolutely swamped this week, but I'm coming up for air long enough to tell you all that I am still alive. Overwhelmed, slightly stressed, and severely sleep-deprived due to the fact that my inner clock still hasn't clicked over to East Coast time--but alive.

Most of my days are taken up by the writing program, but today I did manage to leave my well-worn two-block territory and venture further afield into the city, thanks to a fellow student who lives in the area and has a car. He acted as a tour guide for me and a few friends, driving us through the Historical District of Louisville, with its huge old mansions and quiet streets, and then on to the center of religious fervor in the Bluegrass State, otherwise known as Churchill Downs. We got there just after the last race of the day, but had the chance to see the thoroughbreds being walked along the track back to the stables.

We also learned that box seats at the Kentucky Derby can easily go for $10,000. Wow.

Highlight of the Day: the free Smashmouth concert staged at Fourth Street Live (the hip restaurant/shopping area of downtown), outdoors in the freezing cold. Random, I know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Score on finding a buddy with a car! Hey, if you're going to be sticking it out for awhile in "Loovle," might as well get to see the sights.

And why on earth would anyone spend that kind of money to watch equines run around in circles?

Anonymous said...

If you need a reprieve from your classes, my most recent posting ought to make you laugh.

I hope you aren't too stressed! Thou shalt overcome! ;)