Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, it's that time of year again, when we determinedly set ourselves the task of being dutifully thankful for all the things that annoyed, frustrated, or disappointed us during the year: family, friends, our jobs, our lives, the universe, and everything.

Kidding, kidding.

I actually like Thanksgiving a lot. I like it more than Christmas, in fact, because even though Christmas is about the birth of the Lord Jesus and other things that are deeply important to me, it's also (sadly) about going crazy trying to buy the "right" gifts for people and not forget anyone who might get mortally offended and never speak to you again. There's a lot of stress attendant upon Christmas, and quite frankly, the last thing I need in my life is more stress.

I admit, though, that I do not cultivate a grateful spirit throughout the year as a rule, so when I get to Thanksgiving and start trying to make the requisite list of all the things I'm thankful for, it's the mental and emotional equivalent of running a marathon when you've spent the year eating Big Macs and avoiding all exercise that does not involve sitting on the couch in front of the TV. Suddenly, I'm trying to flex gratitude muscles that I never knew I had. And it's tough. Watch, I'll show you what happens:

I am thankful for my family, who have supported and encouraged and loved me... but sometimes they get on my nerves. I am thankful that I have a job that pays my bills... but it's kind of boring at times. I am thankful that being single allows me to live fairly freely, going where I want when I want... but I'm sad that I'm missing out on being in love. I am thankful for my health, but... hey, I have no "buts" about that! I am very healthy! YAY!!!!

Whew, I was getting depressed.

But you see what I mean? Everything I am thankful for has a Dark Side. The thing I like about Thanksgiving is that it's a time to forcibly shake off the darkness, and really make an effort to focus on the light that fills my life. And I do wonder what it would be like to work at this focus throughout the year, instead of waiting for a particular weekend in November to roll around. If I were to make a New Year's resolution, that would be it. (Unfortunately if there is one thing I am not thankful for at all, it's the concept of the New Year's resolution.)

So today, I'm thankful for Thanksgiving itself. I'm thankful for a holiday that reminds me not to give in to the Dark Side. I'm thankful that I have people to celebrate the holiday with, and lots of food to eat (and believe me, there are no "buts" about that, either!).

And most of all, I'm thankful that it is not Christmas yet, because I still haven't done any gift shopping. Yikes!

2 comments:

grackyfrogg said...

indeed! how could i have forgotten...! good times, good times. :)

Quesse Lómë said...

I had ambrosia salad twice this weekend...and I actually liked it.

*ducks away from inevitable flying object*