Monday, October 12, 2009

Perplexity

OK, so I have to admit I get a little miffed these days when I come across articles about ways to reduce your risk for cancer, etc. (and there are lots of these articles out there). Before I got diagnosed with lymphoma, I could have checked off every box on the "what to do to not get cancer" chart. I am not a smoker. I ate pretty healthy; was practically vegetarian, in fact. I was active, running at least 15 miles every week, sometimes more. And don't even get me started on drinking green tea.

But none of that protected me from cancer. I was the poster-child for not getting it, and I got it. And there's no way to guarantee I won't get it again.

I don't understand.

I have a CT scan scheduled for December as part of my followup testing. I know I'll be nervous about it when the time comes. The thought of ever having to go through chemo again is so awful, I can't let myself contemplate it for more than about two seconds. Especially now that I'm feeling better than I've felt in a long time. As recently as this past August there were days when I could barely walk. Now I've started running again, and getting back in shape. I'm planning to run a half-marathon next year. And yesterday I went on a hike that was 2 hours pretty much straight uphill, and barely broke a sweat! I am the picture of perfect health.

Yeah. Perfect health with a biopsy scar and at least two more years of cancer testing still ahead of her.

What a weird world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's totally not fair! Good job getting active again! AWESOME!

Diane G said...

A weird world for sure. Definitely perplexing, with sprinklings of glory here and there.

Anonymous said...

That's IS so odd! And me...I do the exact opposite healthwise and don't get anything! Thank the good Lord! I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! *sidenote...I don't think I HAVE a worst enemy* Anyway, I'm a tad surprised that you, the picture of health, would get the big C! And who knows why, except that you can now commiserate with others going thru chemo...and you can loudly proclaim you are a SURVIVOR!!
Praying you have clear scans in December!!

~Donna H.

Beth said...

Health is always ironic. (Example: my great aunt who smoked for YEARS is still in great health in her 80s. What the heck?!) It's good to hear that you're getting active again. I've picked up on how important that's been to you over the last few years that I've "known" you, and it's exciting that you can start running again. :D

I'll be praying for you today. :)