So, I didn't intend to let what, nearly a month go by since my last post, but I did anyway. Oh well.
The past few weeks since my last day of work have been a blur. I kicked off my entrance into the (increasingly crowded) realm of the unemployed with a trip to the charming beach town of Encinitas (not to be confused with Ensenada, though some people apparently do, I discovered). I spent my days there walking and lounging on the beach, mostly, or else just wandering around the town. It was great.
But of course, you know what they say about all good things.
Since returning to reality, I feel like every day has become Saturday, and if you take a moment to think about it, that's not as awesome as it sounds. Because Saturday for working people is the day when you run around trying to catch up on all the errands and such that you don't get done during the week because of being at your job. Well, imagine that your whole life has turned into one long unbroken series of catch-up days. It won't be long before you are forced into the realization that, guess what, you are never going to catch up. Ever. There will always be something awaiting your attention, and it will usually have to do with the endless generation of paperwork that living in this society seems to require — mail you have to sort through, a form you need to fill out, an application you have to write, filing that obstinately refuses to do itself.
Basically, full-time employment is the gift of not having the time to spare to think too much about the implications of the fact that a great deal of time is being leached out of your mortal existence by Sisyphean enterprises.
Um, yeah.
So, how's everyone else doing these days?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
um...yeah...filing...about that. mine doesn't even get done on Saturday! the paperwork that I wish I could get rid of is the incessant credit card solicitations from the same company that won't raise your credit line on the card you already have? what the...?
Ah...Saturdays, the day I have backup for the herd of howler monkeys I am raising.
Oh, and add dragging four kids around on all those errands...those are my weekdays.
I'll hire you...I need a nanny. Would you take your pay in cookies?
Post a Comment