So anyway, I have thought for a long time now that America was the world leader in eating more food at a single sitting than one might think humanly possible. Argentina broadened my understanding of this issue — to say nothing of my waistline.
On one of my first nights in Buenos Aires with the creative writing program, I went out to dinner with a few of the students and one of them ordered a calzone. Here it is:
The guy who ordered it said, "I asked for the small." I nearly choked. And then my food arrived:
Yes, that is a baked potato, and yes, it was roughly the size of my entire head. I mean, it was good, but wow.
From a restaurant outside of Buenos Aires, here's a version of a caprese salad, which a friend of mine ordered in an effort to be somewhat healthy:

As you can see, that is pretty much just a big bowl of cheese, with a few tomatoes and olives thrown in for color. So much for healthy.
I honestly think the only thing that kept me from having to buy a whole new wardrobe when I got home was the fact that I tried to walk everywhere we had to go, instead of taking taxis. Even so, when I got home I had to spend a few days eating nothing but salads, and I couldn't even let myself THINK of the word "empanada." Ugh.
By the way, if you are surprised that I haven't mentioned anything about the one food Argentina is famous for outside of Argentina (i.e., BEEF), well, the truth is, I was kind of surprised myself that it wasn't as big of a deal as I was expecting. Most of the restaurants I went to in Buenos Aires offered cuisine that showed the influence of the region's Italian heritage — milanesa, pastas, calzones (see above!), that kind of thing. There were vegetarians on our trip, and they didn't seem to have any problem finding good stuff to eat, so there's certainly no need to write Buenos Aires off as a destination if you're not carnivorous. (That said, I still managed to eat more meat in the few weeks I spent in Argentina than I have in about a year. Not an exaggeration).
Well, I think I've talked enough about food for one day. Next time, we'll take a look at — I don't know, I haven't decided yet. Something besides eating, though. I promise!
6 comments:
A baked potatoe the size of a human head! Crazy. And I'm sure, somebody's dream come true. I feel you on the caprese...that's what Italians would get when they wanted something light, and I had the same reaction...what? A plate of cheese? Nope that doesn't weigh me down at all. :p
i know, right? i actually really love cheese, but yowzas.
but I love cultural food stories! Keep them coming! :-)
Great...I popped a button just READING that. Plus...my drool has shorted out my keyboaeasevesfsfd a jkdnvlj
Gracky...I am dying. I commend you on your ability to NOT have to buy a new wardrobe. I would have failed miserably. Thank God we now know that American's aren't the only gluttons! I thought we might be alone in that and I was sad. But not any more! So....WAS the beef good?
yes, i have to say, the beef was pretty good. i had steak only a few times, but it was quite delicious!
Post a Comment