I'm just going to take a quick little break from re-capping Argentina to ask a question: Am I the only person in America who did not in fact think that Inception was totally awesome?
I mean, OK, oodles of props on the mind-bending premise, the exceptional special effects, and the scene-stealing charm of Joseph Gordon-Leavitt (who is frankly adorable even as a grim, all-business... well, I don't actually know what he was, because the film doesn't make it clear, come to think of it). Oh, and not to mention the eye candy that was Tom Hardy (wow). But 2.5 hours is a long time to spend wandering in and out of people's brains and still not really have a good sense of where you want to go, or where you've ended up when the credits (finally) start rolling.
As the movie went on, I had the sense not so much of being taken on an exciting ride as being forced to watch someone else's exciting ride. Namely, Christopher Nolan's, as he tried valiantly to keep control of the wild horse that was his screenplay, eventually beating it into some sort of sullen, but not entirely satisfactory, submission.
Ultimately, I felt that Nolan had this truly amazing, fun, thought-provoking idea but didn't know how to really dig into it, and so he settled for building on his intriguing foundation with a totally pedestrian (and underdeveloped) storyline that dragged on for way longer than I think it had to.
Also, Hans Zimmer's score was a little overly enthusiastic in its pounding dramaticness, if you ask me; especially in the final scene.
So yeah, that's my take. Anyone else see it who'd care to a) correct my Philistine impressions, or b) laud my incisive critiquing skills (aka my cool wild horse metaphor)?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i respectfully disagree :)
and i respectfully respect your disagreement. :)
Am I the only one on the planet for whom that movie has no appeal? I just have no desire to see it.
I went to the video store the other day and every movie was government conspiracy, depressing true story, or death-mutilation-zombie. Really? That's all you got Hollywood? Even the magical movies are dark and depressing.
I'm gonna go watch Back to the Future, or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...fun, entertaining, and clean. Those were the days.
Hi Grace! I finally got around to seeing this movie and I really enjoyed it. The concept was completely original -- despite some Matrix parallels -- and brilliant, really. It's like he came up with this idea and then amped it up by adding the "dream within a dream" levels. The acting was good and well-cast. I agree about the score -- overdone, and I usually like Hans. Beyond Rangoon was an amazing score by him. Anyway, I really liked this movie and wonder if a sequel is in the works. It seems like it's been very popular. Hope you're enjoying LA and having a good time. - David
hi david! thanks for stopping by and adding your thoughts on the movie. funny you mention the matrix, because i was just saying last night to someone that, between inception and the matrix, i liked the latter better. :)
i don't know how they would manage a sequel without ruining the ambiguity of the ending, but who knows...
Post a Comment