Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Single Conversation

So, two days in a row this week, I had the "why are you still single?" discussion.

In my book, that's two times too many, and way too close together.

What's annoying is that there are very few ways of answering the question without a) feeling like a loser, or b) feeling like a loser. Neither option being particularly appealing.

Here's how I wish those types of conversations would go:

Other Person: So, are you seeing anyone?

Me: No.

O.P.: Really? Why not?

Me: I'm legally blind.

O.P.: Haha. No really.

Me: Where are you?

O.P.: Argh. Forget it.

Me: Ok.

But they never go like that.

Too bad, because it would be pretty funny if they did. I'd laugh, anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always found the straightforward works best.
Them: Why aren't you married?
Me: I don't know.

Seriously, is there a "reason" why anyone is single? Unless they are a priest or someone with a specific reason in mind, they are almost definitely in the boat of people who just haven't found the right person yet. Or the right person hasn't found them.

I must admit though, when people ask me that question and they are not nice about it (gracky, remember J at church who was constantly on the attack about it?) I usually go on the offensive, deriding marriage and its difficulties and lauding the single life and its relative ease.

Just think of it as a compliment when someone asks you. They see you as so valuable and so cool that it baffles them as much as it baffles you that you are single. At least people don't see you as so pathetic as to not deserve someone else to recognize you.

Hey, and sorry about the lack of phone communication. :) I'm still deep in moving mode, now unpacking instead of packing. I'll try to call you tonight on my way to my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary party. Sixty years! How amazing is that?? It makes me want to be less mean about marriage...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and you're not a loser by the way...

grackyfrogg said...

thank you, bex!

i can't remember the person you are talking about. maybe if you CALL me sometime, you can refresh my memory.

ha! j/k. but just remember who used to give who a hard time about not returning calls. tra la la la la.

hope the move has gone well. looking forward to seeing the new place soon! :)