So I'm watching TV tonight, and an ad comes on for Wendy's and not for the first time, I find myself wondering, "Why does Wendy's make square burgers?"
I know what you're thinking: "Just Google it." But the truth is, I'm kind of tired of all the answers to life, the universe and everything being Google-able. Or seeming to be, at any rate. I don't know if I ever thought I'd say this, and it sounds weird, but I'm tired of information that's right there at my fingertips; that costs nothing to learn but the few minutes — or seconds, more like — that it takes to type my question into a search engine and scan through the links that pop up in response. I'd like to reserve the right to wonder into perpetuity what the heck Wendy's is THINKING with their wrongly-shaped burgers. Unfortunately, I can't do this.
Yes, I caved and Googled it and now I'm stuck with my lack of ignorance on this important and terribly relevant subject. You, however, can remain blissfully unaware of the answer for as long as you choose, assuming you didn't already know it. This is because I'm not going to tell it to you.
Please, it's the least I can do. Or not do, as the case may be.
In other news, I didn't really get enough sleep last night. I'm sure you would never have guessed, based on the previous paragraphs' display of overwhelming perspicacity. But in my defense, it was because I was out watching the Leonid meteor shower from 12:30a.m. to 1:30a.m. That does not, by the way, include my driving time. I had to go an hour away from my house in order to clearly see that yes, the night sky actually does have stars in it. (How I love living in Los Angeles.)
It was a good night, though. I'm a sucker for shooting stars, and I saw quite a few good ones. As tired I was (and now am), the sleep I lost was worth the opportunity to catch even one or two (at least to me). Looking up into the depths of the sky while waiting for the next meteor to blaze its way through earth's atmosphere, I realized, not for the first time, just how ridiculously small we all are, and how vastly incomprehensible our existence in this universe really is.
I believe that's called a sense of wonder and awe. Thankfully, Google's got nothing on either of those — except for links to their definitions on dictionary.com and Wikipedia. And that doesn't count.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Haven't you seen that Wendy's ad. It's because as they would say 'we don't cut corners'
square burgers and shooting stars...what a miraculous world we live in. :)
catch a falling star and put it in your pocket....save it for a rainy day eating square burgers...okay, so the lyrics don't really work, but that's what came to mind!
Should we be worried about you Frog? hmmm......
probably!
I was so sad that I wasn't able to go out of town for the meteor shower. :( Very sad. But I'm hoping that next time one comes around, I'll have the chance to get out of Dodge! :D
PS. My grandma lives in So Cal, and I still can't get over how the night sky is more "pink" than anything else. Too weird.
I think that Wendy's mistakenly concluded that the term "square meal" was just a metaphor.
I think that Wendy's mistakenly concluded that the term "square meal" wasn't mere metaphor.
Post a Comment