The rest of my Boston trip was great, though. And by the way, all the doom-gloomers who are busily prophesying the end of reading and literacy and books and so on would have been heartened by the many people who turned out for the inaugural Boston Book Festival on October 24. Especially when you factor in the fact that it was pouring rain most of the day, and when it wasn't raining, the wind was blowing. (Actually, sometimes the wind was blowing while it was raining.)
One of my treasured book festival memories occurred as I was signing up at one booth to win a free Kindle. Not that I am in favor of the Kindle per se, but hey, I'm as American as the next person, which means if it's free, I'll take it, thanks, and then sell it on eBay for a tidy profit. (Actually I'm lying about selling stuff on eBay. I'm way too lazy for that.) But the point is, as I was signing up for the free Kindle raffle, I overheard not one, but two people ask, "What's a Kindle?"
Hallelujah.
Another memorable moment for me was the entire John Hodgman/Tom Perotta conversation, held in the hallowed and gorgeous sanctuary of the Old South Church on Copley Square. For those of you who don't know who John Hodgman is, he's the PC on the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials. For those of you who don't know who Tom Perotta is, he's written some books, one of which was the novel Election, which got turned into a movie. I don't really remember much about the presentation except that it was very funny, and contained three of my favorite quotes of the day:
1) John Hodgman: "I always wanted my own megachurch."
2) Tom Perotta: "I just wonder what it's like to be disturbingly ubiquitous."
3) John Hodgman: "It's nerd time, but the law still applies."
You kinda had to be there, especially for that last one. But trust me, it was hilarious.
There's a lot more I could say about the book festival, but this post is already long, and there's still a whole 'nother day of the trip to talk about, which encompassed a drive to Maine. Argh, I suck at blogging! OK, we're doing the rest in pictures. Here we go:
That's a pic of the Visitor's Center at Kittery, ME, one of the nicest rest stops I've ever been to. It was there that we learned about the existence of Lenny the Life-Size Chocolate Moose, who resides at a candy shop in Scarborough, about an hour from the Massachusetts border. Of course, we had to go see him:
Since Lenny also lives not far from Portland, we cruised up there for a late lunch. (A fact that makes it possible for me to boast that I've been to Portland, OR, and Portland, ME, less than six months apart from each other. Because, you know, that's something to boast about.)
Here's Portland in all its cuteness:
And here's me in all of mine:
I don't know if you can read the sign, but it says, "DEMILLO'S LONG WHARF SERVING NICE PEOPLE SINCE 1954." I wonder what they do to not-nice people. Not serve them, I guess.
Here's a sign I saw outside a store:
I think that speaks for itself.
On the way back to Boston, we drove through Kennebunkport, which was pretty much adorable. And then there was the coast:
As a copywriter with clients in the travel industry, there have been numerous times where I've had to write about the New England coast even though I've never had the opportunity to go there until now (thank God for my advanced degree in fiction writing!). So I'm relieved to note that the many adjectives I've deployed to describe said coast (stunning, spectacular, dramatic, etc.) are, in fact, accurate. (Although you wouldn't know it from the picture. Oh well.)
Anyway, there it is, my not-so-quick Boston sum-up that still leaves much to the imagination. And I'll leave you now to employ that as you will, but not before extending my deep gratitude to the gracious friends who let me take over their living room during the entirety of my stay, not to mention showed me around (and even, in one case, made the supreme sacrifice of climbing the Bunker Hill monument's 294 steps with me). Thank you, thank you, thank you!
OK, back to all of our regularly scheduled lives...
4 comments:
This might be beneath you now that you have your advanced degree in fiction writing, but are you doing NaNoWriMo?
Also, I think that Kindles are the Devil's handmaidens. :)
funny you mention nanowrimo, beth. i was just looking at your blog and saw you had committed to it. cool! i didn't join in because my sister's wedding is this weekend and i was like, no way will i have time. but i have a friend who's doing it who basically told me that after my sister's wedding this weekend, i would have no excuse for not diving in.
he's wrong, of course, because i can come up with excuses like nobody's business. but i'm tempted to give it a go nonetheless... even though obviously i'd be joining late.
we shall see.
You should do it!!! :D And then tell me what your username is so I can encourage you to write. :)
I wish that I'd done this before this year, but I was always too intimidated to try it when I was in college. (And thinking about it, I probably didn't have enough time to devote to it then anyway.) Still, I'm having a ball writing this story out, and it's nice that I can let myself off my self made perfectionist hook that will let me write just to write! It's absolutely wonderful. :D
I can understand being caught up in wedding prep now, but I hope you won't be too intimidated to join after the wedding is done. At least this way you have a whole week to brainstorm before hunkering down and writing! ;)
The only thing I really know about Boston is that last year the Today show had a segment on GPS units and tested them out in Boston since it is one of the hardest cities in the country to drive in. For the record...according to the Today show travel experts (and I think you know one of them Frog!) the TomTom was the #1 buy. But i am in no way making claims or doing any advertising...just reporting.
Oh yeah, the other thing I know about Boston had something to do with a tea party...
Post a Comment