Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Another Confession

This one is going to be difficult. Shocking even, perhaps. But I feel that it's time to tell the truth, and admit what must only be perceived as a great failing. Please don't hate me, but...

I have not read a single one of the Harry Potter books.

I know, it's terrible! I can hardly lift my head for the shame. And the worst of it is still to come, because you see, it's not that I have anything against Harry Potter. It's just that...well, I don't care that much.

I tried, I really did. One day I saw the first book of the series lying around in our house, and I thought, "I should see what this is all about." I picked it up, read a few pages, and put it down. And--this is the important point--I never picked it up again.

Oh, what is wrong with me? Surely it must be some fatal flaw in my character, in my very soul, that I didn't find Harry Potter interesting!

But if I watched two of the movies (well, parts of each of them at least), does that count toward my absolution from such an awful sin? I can only hope.

7 comments:

grackyfrogg said...

and now we all know why i took so long to confess, don't we.

:)

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps you're just too, shall we say, highbrow, for the books... :) I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of here... I can't read joyce or dante or keats or any actual literature, because I've been ruined by books like Harry Potter. I want action, easy plots, and witty fast-paced dialogue, preferably using words that could be understood by any 8-year old.

Anonymous said...

I browsed some of the books. They were not literature. The movies, on the other hand, are reputed to be cinema. I may rent them someday.

grackyfrogg said...

i think i lost any possibility of laying claim to "highbrow" status when i posted the story about steve puking on a child. if that wasn't a nail in the coffin of sophistication, i don't know what is.

Philip said...

yeah, but at least steve puking on a kid was a good story!!

(porter, i agree and have heard the same)

Anonymous said...

I've read the books and seen the movies, and I definitely wouldn't say that the movies are cinema... The most recent (I think it was the third movie) was pretty decent and well done, but all of them are just kids movies really. And the books, not literature, but they're not fluff either. So, try a movie, for sure, but don't be disappointed if it turns out to be slightly less than cinema. :)

Anonymous said...

"Kids'" is not a modifier incompatible with "literature" or even "cinema".