Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Frogg Files, Defined (Sort of)

Many thanks to the Daily Pepper, who has recently mentioned my blog in her illustrious list celebrating female bloggers ("In Praise of Blogher!"). Pepper is a good friend that I have known since my creative-writing workshop days in Berkeley and San Francisco; a top-notch writer herself whose blog is sharp, witty, and very entertaining. Moreover, she has a truly formidable command of vast amounts of random knowledge, ranging along all sorts of topics from sports to rap to literature to music videos to politics to philosophy to 80s sitcoms (did I leave anything out?). So to have her describe me as "one of the smartest people I know"--I am speechless indeed. (Or I would be, if I weren't so irrepressible.) Thank you again, Pepper!

However, one teensy little caveat. In her post, Pepper also said that I am someone who "thinks often about the power of religion in her life and the impact it can have on others. " Now, this is true, BUT it is misleading in the sense that I rarely think about it "out loud" on this site! I mean, it does happen, but so occasionally. I can only imagine people's reactions who follow her link to my lily pad in quest of something halfway intelligent to read (maybe) about religion and culture, or something like that, only to find instead my mad ravings about Salieri, or my silly anecdotes about injuries past, or my ever-increasing desire to strangle the evil, shrieking Leo (and although I haven't written about that lately, don't think for a minute that I have gotten over it--au contraire to the extreme, I'm afraid).

I began to wonder, as I'm sure many of you sometimes do: just what the heck is the frogg files all about? Is there a point to the writings here? After much thought and soul-searching (almost five whole minutes' worth, in fact), I have arrived at an answer.

The frogg files is about: whatever I want it to be about, whenever I want it to be about it. (Usually, it's about me.)

If I feel like writing about politics on a given day (rare, but I suppose it could happen), I will. If I feel like writing about religion (a bit more likely), I will. And if I feel like writing about the time the cat chased a skunk into my bedroom, followed in turn by a swarm of Africanized killer bees, while I took refuge under my bed and prayed that neither skunk nor bees would find me, by golly, I most definitely will. (How could I not?)

That last story is completely untrue, by the way, but it would make for such entertaining reading, wouldn't it?

Well. So now you know, if you are visiting for the first time, that the frogg files is sort of the blog version of Seinfeld: it's about absolutely nothing at all.

Except, of couse, when it is about something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Anonymous said...

I'm with anonymous! Hee-hee.

But that is the beauty of blogs, o Grackyfrogg! You are able to try out all kinds of identities and ponder any topic. You can be anything you want!

And I have to vouch that I learn A LOT at the lily pad. About philosophy, trees, neck injuries, Leo ... and I hope that Leo isn't mad that I forgot to mention him!

So, don't sell yourself short, girl! The lily pad is a fine place to hang out! And I hope your Bay Area plans come true!

PS - thank you for calling my "useless trivia addiction" a "truly formidable command of vast amounts of random knowledge." That is true blog promotion!