So I was sitting in traffic on the way home from work, getting cranky because traffic puts me in a bad mood, when I looked up at an overpass and saw a man with a little boy on his shoulders. The little boy was waving to all the people locked away in their iron coffins below. Beside these two was a little girl with long brown hair, in a bright yellow dress. She kept jumping up and down like she couldn't imagine a more exciting view than the one she was looking at right then--miles of glinting metal cartops and flashing red brake lights as far as she could probably see.
In that moment, as I looked up at the cheerful little group on the overpass, I didn't mind that I was stuck in the inevitable Los Angeles gridlock. I didn't mind that I was exhausted, because of not getting enough sleep last night. I didn't mind that I have to wake up earlier than usual tomorrow because of a meeting at one of client's offices.*
I smiled up at the man, the boy, and the little girl as I passed beneath them, and I kept smiling as I left them behind.
*Of course, I mind that now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you for your encouragement, Gracky. :) I'm also encouraged by your blog and I hope you don't stop writing either!
Nice scene - well written. Reminds me to look out for those glimpses all around.
Post a Comment