Well, the countdown is upon me. Only three more weeks until I hop on a plane to Kentucky, to do the first 10 days of my first semester in a graduate writing program.
I'm a little nervous for lots of reasons, not least of which is the fact that I apparently cannot pronounce the name of the city where I'll be staying—Louisville—correctly. I didn't even know I was saying it wrong, until I randomly met a sweet Southern lady at a friend's parents' going-away party, who kindly informed me that it isn't pronounced "Lou-ee-ville" as I thought but "Loovle" or something like that. (If I can't even WRITE it, how am I supposed to say it?! Gah.) Anyway, I dutifully repeated the word "Louisville" after her a few times, doing my best to train my barbaric say-all-the-syllables West Coast accent into something that sounded like I was swallowing my tongue. The sweet Southern lady finally said that I got it, but I think she was just being, well, sweet.
Aside from not speaking Southern, I am excited about all the attractions and activities that Louisville offers to the tourist. Not that I am going to have time for touristing, but anyplace that puts The American Printing House for the Blind at the top of their sightseeing page gets an appreciative round of applause from me. (Also the coveted Frogg Award for Excellence in Irony.)
This is going to be fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That reminded me of a story I love to tell. My friend from Hong Kong arrived in Durham for the first time and got into a taxi. 'This is my first time in Doooor-Ham.' she said. 'No, no, no,' said the local driving the taxi, 'it's Drrr-um.' 'Drrr-um.' she said. So she moved into grad student housing and said to all of the diversity of people on her floor, 'I've just arrived in Drrr-um.' 'In where?' they asked. 'Drrr-um.' 'No, no, no,' they said, 'Don't pronounce it like the locals. Pronounce it like they would on the BBC.'
The moral, of course, is that just because the Southerners pronounce it like that, don't think you can get away with it too! ; )
(Hey, why isn't my comment counted? Is it not deemed worthy by Blogger??)
ha! that's a good story... i think i'm just going to delete "louisville" from my vocabulary. which should make for some creative conversations, i'm sure.
Random Friend: "So, where are you going for your master's program?"
grackyfrogg: "Oh, just this place in Kentucky."
RF: "What place?"
g: "Uh, well, it starts with an L."
RF: "Lexington?"
g: "Nope. Guess again!"
RF: "What, is this a game??"
g: "Why, yes. Yes, it is. I like games!"
RF: "Fine, whatever. Is it Louisville?"
g (laughing): "Oh, you poor hick. That's not how you pronounce it, but yeah."
RF: "Well, how do you pronounce it then?"
g: "Gee, it's hot today, isn't it? Gotta love SoCal winters! Oh and look at the time, I have to do something. Bye!"
hehe.
oh and blogger is a finicky animal... but never fear, if it hasn't started counting your comment yet, it will eventually. sometimes it takes a few hours.
Yes, the sweet southern lady certainly was persistent, wasn't she?? I was cracking up watching you try and repeat whatever it was she was saying (which didn't bear any resemblance whatsoever to Louisville). ;) Hilarious!
And as to those favorite jeans... at least you didn't leave your passport with me, as one of my friends up north did this weekend. Although I suppose a passport may be less necessary to the daily life than the favorite jeans. To those living in border town canada though...
And yes, I'll get those in the mail soon. Lucky for you I picked them up off the floor before I left for my journey, otherwise they might now be all gross and sinky... (see blog for more info)
becca, i had in fact already read your blog and i publicly confess right now that i am a horrible friend, because the very first thing that went through my head when you talked about the flooding or whatever it was of your apartment was (and i wish i were making this up), "oh no!!! did she leave my FAVORITE JEANS on the floor?! ARE THEY RUINED??!!"
thank you for easing my mind on this point. and, er, i'm sorry about your apartment. really.
Lou a vul.
easy
Hey gracky, how do you know you've become too much of a "blog friend"? When you sit down to write an email and realize you have no clue what your friends email address is anymore because it's been so long. I think ALL of our communication has been public for the last year now!
I have the favorite jeans here with me and hope to send them your way sometime today. Please email me your address, that is, if you remember my email address. ;) I'll give you a hint, it starts with symph and ends with rosa, the rest is up to you!
Post a Comment