Been a crazy couple of days in agency land, big red project folders flying everywhere.
I am not sure why we have our projects in red folders. I suppose to draw attention to them, so we don't forget to work on the projects they contain, but their sheer size should ensure our rememberance--I mean, they're like 2' x 3'. Kind of hard to miss, I'd say.
Frankly, I hate the red folders, because they're so alarming. Around 1 pm, the traffic manager (who monitors where and at what stage all the jobs are as they go through the agency process) came over and dropped off not one, but FOUR of these giant red folders on my desk. That was in addition to the three she had put there just moments before. I immediately felt my heart rate increase in stressed response.
"I'm sorry," she said, "but these are all rather hot." (She's British, as you can tell from the "rather.")
Well, of course they are hot. They are in red folders! How could they be anything other than a rushing, life-and-death emergency? I could probably count the number of times a project landed on my desk that wasn't due the exact same day on one red-ink stained hand.
Deadlines will be deadlines regardless of chromatic affiliations, but if anyone had asked me (and as usual, no one did), I would have chosen a different color for these stress-inducing folders in the interests of, well, reducing at least some of that stress. Like, say, the color yellow. It's hard to be angry and irritable in the face of such a cheery hue. Unless, of course, you get mad because it has no business being cheery when you are so stressed.
Ok, so maybe not yellow. Blue? No, that would be too cold. You wouldn't want to touch it for fear of the arctic chills. Orange? Eew.
Maybe green. Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be the ideal color. Not hot, not cold, not ugly. Just a pleasant shade that reminds one that there is green grass somewhere beyond the cubicle walls, and outside the building where the sun (one hopes) still shines.
On second thought, green is depressing. Boo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
bah humbug! ;-) preparing early for the holidays?
Gracky,
Your blogpagie thing is green.
Most "emergencies" are the children of procrastinators like you and I. They can’t be blamed though because you, after all, are the bearer if that big red hugger now.
gm
if that! if that!
Where's that proofreader!
Anyway, I'm awake now.
gm
hmm, good point, gm. well, but my page HAS to be green, because most froggs usually are. aren't they?
:)
(and don't worry about typos. i save my red pen for work-related injuries--i mean projects.)
and phil--i am ALWAYS ready for the holidays.
Rather funny post
Post a Comment