Friday, May 01, 2009

Summer Travel Plans

I'm so excited for summer right now! This week I booked airline tickets to two different destinations, both of which I've been wanting to go to for quite some time. The first trip is a long-weekend jaunt with a friend up to Portland in June, for the express and simple purpose of visiting Powell's City of Books. And yes, I realize how totally nerdy this sounds, but hey, Powell's is one of the world's largest independent bookstores — possibly the largest. How can I not want to go there? Call it a sort of pilgrimage, if you like. Whatever the case, I can't wait! (I realize I do not sound any less nerdy now, but I don't care.)

The second trip will be in August, when I head off to Switzerland for about a week to visit my brother. Woo-hoo!

Actually, it's possible that Switzerland will be the third trip, because I'm also thinking of taking a weekend in July to go up to San Francisco, but then again, that doesn't really count because that's still in California, and plus I used to live near there, so I've been there a lot already, unlike Portland and Switzerland .

Wow, that last sentence was really, really long.

Anyway, the point is, the travel bug has been biting in a major way lately. And thankfully, the cure does not involve chemotherapy! Whew. On the other hand, I'm a little surprised at how much money I spent on airline tickets this week. Surprise will no doubt turn to horror when I get my credit card bill, but hopefully I will survive. It would be kind of embarrassing to win the battle against cancer only to die of sticker shock.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It is NOT nerdy to want to go to Powell's for a pilgrimage. Powell's is mind-boggling. I think I was in there for several hours, and I had to be dragged out, kicking and screaming.

Where are you staying in Portland? I can recommend some terrific places, such as the Kennedy School, which is a high school converted into a hotel. They have several bars--one is Honors (no smoking) and Detention (smoking). We staked our claim in the Honors lounge, naturally. And they have chalkboards in the rooms!

Of course, Switzerland will be a delight. They laugh at you in Zurich if you have the urge to take off your shoes going through security.

Beth said...

I've never been to Powell's--even though it's so close--and I really REALLY want to go there sometime! I'm kinda jealous. :)

Diane G said...

I am happy for you concerning your upcoming travels!
I'll be flying to Portland in June, as well, but staying at Mt. Angel. No Powell's for me.
If you do come to NorCal in July, please come either the first or last weekend otherwise I will miss seeing your smiling face. :-)
May your anticipation of your summer adventures bring you consolation as you endure what lies ahead of you.

Philip said...

want to grab a coffee while you're in my neck of the woods? assuming i'm free that weekend to drive up... but you might be busy anyway.

Carl G. said...

It's a great feeling to make something (like travel) happen, especially when so much has been happening without your permission. Here's to your traveling jones!

grackyfrogg said...

hey phil, yeah, it would be great to meet up. let's keep in touch and as the time gets closer, i'll know more about what we're planning to do. there's actually a possibility that we might come up to eugene... not sure yet. anyway, i'll keep you posted!

Anonymous said...

so THAT'S why i haven't heard back from you...you're plotting your escape!

talk to you soon.....
amy

Anonymous said...

I'm finally catching up on your posts! I don't blame you for wanting to travel...you've kind of been stuck near home for a while now. Powell's is AMAZING! You will get lost for hours!
~Donna H.