Friday, July 07, 2006

The Cowgirl's Really Bad Day

So, after all my lunatic rambling and ranting in the last post, about how I'm driving to the Bay Area tonight, not Saturday, I... changed my mind. I am going on Saturday!

That's right. What are you going to do about it?

While you are thinking of some sort of suitable, no doubt witty, response, I'd like to share my sister the cowgirl's story of her really bad day yesterday, because it's pretty funny and made me laugh. (Probably because I am a mean older sister, otherwise I would have been all sympathetic noises and sweetness.)

The cowgirl is in a horse show this weekend, in Temecula, and yesterday she started the long drive down from her home on the range (i.e., a horse/cattle ranch) in the northernish wilds of California. This is how her day unfolded:

1) As she prepared for the trip, she told herself over and over again not to forget her riding boots before she left. Then she got in the truck and drove away--without the boots.

2) Realizing (thankfully quickly) that she had forgotten the boots, she went back. Got out of the car, and saw her boots on the ground, looking strangely flat. She had rolled over them. Oops.

3) Spent awhile reshaping the boots, then went back to the truck, only to find she had a flat tire.

4) Upon examination of the tire, she realized that the flat tire was a direct result of rolling over her boots--because the boots had her spurs on them.

5) Finally, finally she got on the road, only to sit in stop-and-no-go traffic somewhere in the vicinity of the Grapevine, because of a fire on the side of the freeway. (Of course, she also had to go to the bathroom.)

6) She called the house around 9pm, because after who knows how many hours she was still not at the barn where she had to unload her horse before finding her hotel, and she wanted to hear some sympathetic noises. Unfortunately, she ended up talking to me instead of my mom.

7) This morning, I get a voice mail on my cell phone, from last night. It's the cowgirl again, sounding very depressed and resigned. "As if rolling over my boots and spurs wasn't enough, I get to the hotel and everything that can go wrong here goes wrong, too. Like, I put a dollar in the soda machine, and do I get my water that I pushed the button for? No. It just stays in there. I cried right then." Click.

Wow. You cannot tell me there isn't a country western song in there somewhere.

Ah, the lives of cowgirls are tough--but, rather amusing for their mean older sisters.

4 comments:

R.A. said...

You've got to send that story to Lyle Lovett, king of the off-beat country/blues song. He'd have his next hit!

SingingCowgirl said...

Okay, you left out a thing or two...like my day starting out finding one of our 4 month old foals dead of multiple rattlesnake bites...and my horse was sore (so I didn't think I could show him), and when I had to pee, I couldn't even hide in the trailer cuz it was an open stock trailer and all the truckers that were stopped on the freeway with me would be able to get a free show...I think that's about it!

But the show somehow was a success. I returned as reserve champion in both classes and a whopping 3 points closer to qualifying for the World Show. (just need 3.5 points more!)

The cowgirl

grackyfrogg said...

apologies, cowgirl! thanks for the additions!

by the way, where DID you end up peeing?? i couldn't remember that either! or did you just say, "oh well, i guess the truckers will have that free show!"

and congrats on the show! yay!!! hope you make it to the world show, that will be great!

RenaSherwood said...

Great post...especially since we got to hear both sides! Definattely put a deep meaning to the show must go on.

Sorry about the foal. I grieve with you.

Outta curiosity, are spurs required in Western shows still?