The hot weather has finally kicked in, with a vengeance. This morning I woke up, and broke a sweat as I walked the 10 steps from my bedroom to my bathroom. It must have been 80 degrees outside already, and it wasn't even noon!
It almost was, though. Noon, I mean. Because I overslept, big time.
Went to an Angels game last night, which was more fun than I would have imagined, considering the fact that I'm not what you would call a baseball fan per se. It's not the most exciting game in the world, but then again, after seeing cricket a few times in New Zealand, I have to say it's also not the most boring game in the world. So there's the plus side for baseball!
But I have to say, actually going to a game is kinda cool, because it's a whole different experience than, say, watching it on TV (when it is just mind-numbing, to me). For one thing, you're surrounded by other people who are actual fans, and they can be very amusing. Like the drunk guys who sat four rows down from us, right on the field, and kept heckling this poor guy on the opposing team (Tampa Bay), named Carl Crawford. They kept telling him how much he sucked, and how terrible he was. Which made me feel sorry for him, but at the same time struck me as funny, because after all, no matter how terrible Carl Crawford is (and he didn't seem terrible; I mean, he caught a ball or two when they came his way, and that's his job, right?), he is still the one on the field raking in millions just for picking his nose in the outfield, while these guys in the stands are... well, not.
So that was funny.
Also funny was the bag of Cracker Jacks we bought during the game, because it seems like the good folks who make Cracker Jacks have decided that peanuts aren't really necessary to the Cracker Jack experience anymore. So for the entire first two thirds of the bag, I didn't find a single one. Which, actually, was less funny than annoying, because I really like the peanuts!
Finally we found a few, at the very bottom. And when I say "a few," I mean "a few." As in, "hardly any." As in, PUT SOME MORE PEANUTS IN THE CRACKER JACKS, CRACKER JACK PEOPLE!
Pretty please.
Oh, and let's not forget that I also had the opportunity to sit next to The Most Annoying Boyfriend in the World. No, he wasn't mine! But that's what I called him in my mind, because he was with his girlfriend, and if I were her, that's how I would feel about him, if I weren't blinded by that peculiar brand of love that would leap to his defense, saying, "He's not loud and obnoxious! He's vocal and opinionated!"
Trust me, he was loud and obnoxious. And he also had nothing good to say to poor Carl Crawford, who really had my deep sympathy by the end of the night.
Thankfully, Carl had a whole two fans in our section, who thought he was just great... and hot, even! I know this because they wore shirts that said "I (heart) Carl" and held up two signs that, when put together, said, "Steal me, hot Carl!" They also screamed for him a lot, which was brave of them, considering they were rather deep in Angels territory.
(The Most Annoying Boyfriend turned to me when they were cheering for Carl once, and said, "What the hell? Last place!" Complete sentences? I think not. What a surprise.)
Anyway, for those who are interested, the Angels won, 9-2. Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ha ha, that's a great story. Well, actually, all of your stories are pretty great. :) I pity the girlfriend with the most annoying boyfriend in the world. Poor thing...
thank you, quesse! i'm glad you enjoyed it, and my other ramblings. feel free to compliment me anytime. it's my pleasure.
:)
I had crackerjacks myself at a rivercats game recently (minor league baseball at its finest) and was also baffled by the lack of peanuts.
I checked the packaging, thinking it must have been a variety of the jacks, sans nuts, but no, on the side it still claimed peanuts. I too found about 3 at the bottom of the box.
As opposed to you though, I was kind of glad. Peanuts in crackerjacks always seemed to take something I loved (sugar) and make it something it isn't (protein).
Maybe that's why the song says "buy me some peanuts AND crackerjacks" because they knew the inevitability of a split.
:)
i smile :)
what are cracker jacks anyway??
my dear phriend phil! are you serious??
do you really mean to say that you have never experienced the joy of looking for a rub-on, blurry tattoo or an extremely miniature baseball card or a shiny hologram sticker inside a cardboard box filled with caramel popcorn and (very few) peanuts?
i'm so sad now.
Post a Comment