I have never done drugs, so I can only imagine what a "trip" is really like. And I imagine it's something very akin to this music video by David Hasselhoff, in which he sings... "Hooked on a Feeling."
The phrase "high on believing" in the song really speaks for itself.
I'm very rarely at a loss for words. (Some of you are thinking, "More's the pity," but I am ignoring you.) In the case of this video, I'm more at a loss for putting all the words I desperately want to say into some sort of cohesive order. Because there really is so much that begs to be said! Watch it and you'll see what I mean. For example:
1) Why the "Ooga Chaka" African base line to introduce the song, and then support it throughout? (Is "Ooga Chaka" part of an African language? There are scenes of David jumping around happily with Africans, but I just don't know.)
2) If you're going to sing to a girl you're supposedly in love with, shouldn't you be singing to her, instead of other images of yourself (which is what David does throughout the video)?
3) What's up with the little dachsunds that meaninglessly appear with David in various scenes?
4) Not to mention the very strange alien that bobs across the bottom of the screen occasionally?
5) Why does he bite into a giant fish at the end?
I could go on, but I don't want to steal all the questions you will doubtless want to ask once you've watched the magic of David Hasselhoff flying through the air in a black trench coat while proclaiming his delighted amazement at being loved.
This video is three and a half minutes of surreality that would have Dali drooling with envy, if he weren't laughing himself to death.
Come to think of it, the clip really should probably come with a Surgeon General's warning of some sort--if anything out there can really make someone die from laughing, this is it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I believe that it can be explained by the fact that his biggest fan base is German. Living in the UK, one does hear a lot of German-bashing, but musically it is not understated. Check out their Eurovision Song Contest entry. (Not to mention the winners on the home page, who spent the week after the contest denying that they were in league with the devil.) Maybe DH is trying to distract them from their recent World Cup loss by confusing them with narcissism and dogs...?
(Woops I meant overstated. My English was major.)
Esteemed Grackyfrogg:
It may interest you to know that the original singer of that particular piece was a fella' by the name of BJ Thomas.
BJ Thomas was one of the most succesful country-pop artists of the nineteen-sevendies and the list of his hits may surprise you.
What you may also find surprising, however, is that BJ Thomas appears to have something in common with you.
http://www.mymusicway.com/biography/bjthomas.html
BJ Thomas recorded the song with the "Ugachaka" drone at the start of the song......but I do not know why.
Was it because the feeling that he was feeling was primal in nature?
All The Best
*!*
aha! JerryNJ, that is a very good obvservation--the idea that the feeling is a primal one. i honestly had not thought of it! you are probably right. that would explain a lot.
wouldn't explain the alien so much, but... what can you do?
thanks for the background research, which i (as usual) was too lazy to do. :)
I'm sorry I didn't read the entire post. I've seen the clip before and it is quite amusing and scary. I just thought I'd note that as far as I know, Ooga Chaka is actually a Swedish chant. I have a friend from Sweden who taught it to me once when we were doing manly physical labour outdoors.
I wouldn't be surprised though if it was also African.
Post a Comment