Sunday, March 18, 2007

Life... It Just Keeps Going, And Going...

Not that I'm complaining about that, of course. I much prefer it to the alternative.

Anyway, the point being, lots going on in the frogg's life. First and most excitingly, it's official... I am going to Kauai next month! Woo-hoo!!

Today, in the spirit of getting into shape for the backpacking adventure that will be the primary feature of my Hawaiian vacation, I went for a walk in the hills behind my house. I did not carry a pack. Still, I was out of breath faster than you could say... well, anything really. (I personally wouldn't have bothered to try, because I needed all the oxygen I could get.)

Now, the trail I walked this morning is not terribly strenuous. The Na Pali Cliffs backpacking trail in Kauai, on the other hand, is rated something like a 9 on the Sierra Club's scale of difficulty. I'd like to think that the scale is between 1 and 1000, with 1000 being "pretty darn difficult" and 9 therefore being "less work than the hills behind my house!" but I have a feeling I'm not that lucky.

I am a little nervous now.

In other news, I am almost finished my first semester in the creative writing program. I'll have about a month off, and then it's back to the bluegrass state for 10 fun-filled days of writing, talking about writing, listening to other people talking about writing, listening to people read their writing, and amidst all that, trying to find time to sneak some piano practice on the incredibly out-of-tune piano I discovered in one of the campus buildings last time.

Oh, and speaking of piano, I am finally ready to start on the third movement of Beethoven's everlasting 6th sonata. I mean hey, it's only been what, almost a year that I've been working on it?! Sheesh. The first movement is nearly memorized, the second is not but I have it's four pages well in hand, no worries... and the third is going to be "so fun!" as my teacher said yesterday. "You'll love it!" I looked at the page rather grimly when she said that. It didn't look fun. It looked hard. And, on the recording that I have of Rudolf Serkin performing it, it sounds even harder.

Sigh... may as well start it today, I suppose.

Right after I recover from my walking exertions by sitting in the sun and doing nothing for awhile. Priorities, priorities...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Grace, you CANNOT tell Melissa about the "9" rating. Personally, that was a little fact that I did not care to know. Just keep thinking of those pictures of the beautiful Na Pali coastline... and the human body chain the three of us could potentially make in the event of fierce winds or rains or hurricanes, or of the fact that if all else fails, we could get airlifted out, and have a fantastic view of the coastline.

There's lots of room for some very positive imagery.

Amy