Saturday, March 14, 2009

Exhausted

One of the side effects of the chemo that I'm having the most trouble getting used to is a lingering sense of fatigue. Yesterday I went out for a walk around the Rose Bowl (about 3.2 miles), then spent the evening wandering around Pasadena during the city's semi-annual ArtNight. Under normal circumstances, these perambulations would have been nothing at all, just totally routine. But today I find that I am completely wiped out; all I want to do is sit or lie down and not move.

Even practicing piano this morning, in preparation for my afternoon lesson, proved ridiculously taxing.

ArtNight was good, though. It was nice just to be out and about after a week of doing absolutely nothing because of feeling mostly sick. I went with a small group of friends to hear the Pasadena Symphony rehearse for tonight's performance, which features Vivaldi's "Spring" from The Four Seasons (love that piece), Schumann's Spring Symphony and Copland's Appalachian Spring. Anyone noticing a theme here? I hope so, because it's pretty darn obvious, I'd say. Hence, I will not draw further attention to it, lest you feel silly for not noticing.

What can I say, I try to be nice sometimes.

After the symphony, we moseyed over to the Jazz Institute for a totally different musical experience. It was a good show, but by then the fatigue was really starting to set in. We hung out there for about an hour and then I went home. Oh, and in the midst of all that, I discovered that I had lost my phone. For the second time in three months! Argh.

Aside from that annoyance, it was a pleasant night out. Today, though, I think I'm going to have to lay low. In fact, after my lesson, I may just have to come home and take a nap!

I know, I know. Pathetic!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Complaining about fatigue after chemo is NOT pathetic!! Don't make me come there and whip you with a wet noodle!
Give yourself a break frog princess! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree...not pathetic. pathetic is being awake at 5 am and doing work!
Aunt B

Anonymous said...

I agree too, you need a break, so, do it.

Kiss
Leonor

Anonymous said...

Grace, you have the best of all possible authorizations to engage full-throated in genuine lament - the Psalms. Feel free!

Anonymous said...

Grace, I would have fallen over less than half way through your early morning 3 mile walk!! I know what you mean about wanting to be the type who suffers with grace (oohhh that didn't come out right).. but each day is another chance to suffer with a little more - uh - dignity than the day before... I have been following your journey for a couple weeks now and praying alongside. Hang in there girl!! - Kim (Major) Clinton

Anonymous said...

Hey, nothing wrong with a Nana nap or two, sounds like your doing pretty well :) keep it up and God Bless.