Monday, March 27, 2006

Immigration Blues

I walked into my office this morning and was immediately greeted by cheering. Which struck me as odd, even though I think I'm pretty cool and totally merit such a welcome. Then I realized that the cheering was coming from outside, and stepped out onto the balcony to see what the fuss was about.

Turns out it was lots of schoolchildren running down the sidewalk waving banners and screaming in solidarity with illegal immigrants, as an extension of this weekend's various protests against anti-illegal immigration laws.

Being the daughter of a legal immigrant, I personally feel like supporting illegal immigration is a bit of a slap in the face for those people who, like my father, went through all the bureaucracy and paperwork and various requirements to become citizens of this country. Sorry, folks. Can't find it in me to rally behind this one, unless I get to wave a flag saying, "You've got to be kidding me."

I was amused by the following quote from an article about the aforementioned student march (which was actually a walkout) on CNN.com:

"We are illegal immigrants if you trace our heritage all the way back, but we are here and we are working and we are living the American dream," said Janet Padron, a 22-year-old Allen Park resident.

Yeah, well. Some of us are here AND paying taxes for the privilege. Not to mention NOT getting free healthcare.

Do I sound bitter? Well, I should. No one cheered for me this morning!

5 comments:

Philip said...

i always cheer for you :)

grackyfrogg said...

aw, phil. thanks. :)

and thank you too, doggie. although i'm not quite sure how to take being called humorous, after the previous quote about the barbarian everyone laughs at, who is not really amusing. hmmm...

;)

R.A. said...

I liked this post, especially the insight about the message we send to legal immigrants by not addressing this issue forthrighly.

We've got two law violating groups it seems: the illegal immigrants, and those employers who conveniently turn a blind eye to illegal status, taking advantage of below-market labor costs, subsidized from your pocket and mine through U.S. entitlement programs which also, conveniently don't require proof of citizenship as a condition of benefits.

SingingCowgirl said...

This is almost as controversial as the abortion issue. Will it ever be resolved? Oh pooh...of course not!

Thanks for the laughs gracky!

grackyfrogg said...

anytime, sis. anytime.