Tuesday, March 21, 2006

LA Drivers: Part II

Ok, ok. Maybe I was being unnecessarily cynical with that last post. I am sure there are lots of reasons to love LA drivers. For instance, their patience.

Like, sometimes they will wait an entire half-microsecond between the time a light changes from red to green before laying on the horn, which is very considerate really, because you might have made everyone behind you wait for, I don't know, a whole second or even two, due to the fact that you were blinking just then.

Or what about the eager helpfulness that characterizes the typical LA driver? I bet you didn't know about that, but it's so true. You'll find out when you do something utterly misguided and ridiculous, like slowing down at a green light before turning right, because there happens to be a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Well, an LA driver (or maybe even more than one!) is bound to honk helpfully at you, letting you know that you shouldn't hold up traffic for the sake of something as trivial as a person's LIFE--they probably don't need it that much anyway, right?

Then there are the super-thoughtful folks who are just looking out for your best interests when they give that horn a tap because the car in front of you isn't moving through the green light. That's obviously no excuse for you to be selfish and not run right into them in order to MAKE them go like they're supposed to.

See what I mean? If it weren't for the uber-courtesy of LA drivers, you wouldn't know about all the stupid things you are doing out there on the road which are endangering other people's ability to get where they are trying to go (usually at speeds exceeding the maximum velocity of the Space Shuttle). I for one am now positively GRATEFUL that LA drivers exist. What would I do without them!

(Probably get to and from work in 20 minutes instead of an hour, but I won't mention that. Oh whoops, too late. I did.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I am, with the NoCal drivers, complaining about the opposite. People at the four way stop all being SO polite and waiting for someone to be first, people driving the speedlimit, people slowing for a yellow. I mean, come on!!

And I'll restate what I told you yesterday... when I hear honking, I just assume it's not meant for me. :) No matter what the circumstance.

grackyfrogg said...

oh tell me about it! i don't like norcal drivers either. they are so SLOW!!

by the way, do you remember when they put in the roundabout instead of the three-way stop on oak grove heading out to shell ridge??? no one even knew what to DO there, for awhile. everyone kept waiting for everyone else. it was ridiculous.

and i'll restate what i told YOU yesterday--that i think my problem is less about LA drivers than about other drivers in general. basically, i'm the best driver on the road and as soon as we all admit it, the happier we'll all be. i'm sure.