So tonight, on the way to church, I asked my friend who was driving if she had any gum. She handed me a pack, and as I took one, I turned to the cowgirl in the backseat and asked if she wanted a piece. "Nah," she said, "I have this thing about aspartame."
"Oh why, does it cause cancer or something?" I said, then cracked up laughing as I put the gum in my mouth.
Well, I thought it was funny.
OK, but the truth is, it's actually taken me a few days to even say "cancer" when I talk about my condition. For a while, I stuck with, "I have a lymphoma." I'm not sure why I thought that sounded any better, but for some reason, it did. To me, anyway.
Then I got tired of all the extra syllables. Hey, time is short, people.
Anyway, I think I've finally come to terms (or else I'm terribly in denial, which, knowing me, is eminently possible). At any rate, I'm ready to start my chemotherapy tomorrow morning—a phrase that was probably numero uno on the list of "Things I never thought I'd say."
The cowgirl will take me to my first session at 8:30 a.m. The treatment basically consists of me sitting in a chair for about four hours with an IV needle stuck in my arm. Fun fun!
I guess I'll have no excuse for not updating my blog tomorrow, what with all that time on my hands...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Still praying for you!
I like your positive thinking.
Kiss from Leonor
Praying for you, too. Please have the cowgirl send me your address.
Thinking of you --
My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. Did the doc give you any idea of how often and for how many weeks/months you will have these opportunities to sit and read/write/ponder/sleep?
Diane
Post a Comment