Well, I went to the oncologist yesterday and I'll just say up front that the prognosis is good. I have a diffuse large cell lymphoma, non-Hodgkins, curable. Which you'd think would have my turning cartwheels, but since I've never been good at gymnastics, I just went out for margaritas last night instead.
Go with what works, kids.
But seriously, I am happy about this news, when I'm not freaked out by thinking that any minute the doctor is going to call me back and say, "Oh wait. We missed something." Then I have to admit I get a little nervous. (Or a lot nervous, as the case may be.)
I will say that I like my oncologist very much. He was very thorough yesterday in explaining every aspect of my upcoming chemotherapy treatments, including the side effects of each of the several drugs I'll have to be taking. I've heard people call this blend a "cocktail" but something tells me it's not going to be nearly as fun to take as the margaritas. Oh well.
My 1:30 appointment went on for almost an hour, and he never once made me feel like he was in a rush to get on to the next patient. Everyone at the office was nice, too. That pleased me. I like nice people.
The oncologist did tell me some sad news, though. It's pretty likely that I'm going to lose my hair. Of all the horrible things he could have told me, this one isn't so bad, but somehow it's the one thing that makes me start to cry when I think about it. I mean honestly, do you have any idea how long it's taken me to get my hair to where it is?! And now I have to start all over. It's a little bit depressing.
But perhaps good for my vanity. And the hat industry.
Anyway, he did say he'd write me a prescription for a wig, which apparently in medical terms is called (I am not kidding) a "cranial prosthesis." Is it just me, or is that a truly ridiculous name for hair? It sounds more like a prescription for an extra head. Or a replacement head for one that's been amputated! Someone needs to tell the medical community that they really suck at coming up with names for things, and they should leave that to creative people like English majors such as myself. I would have called it... hmm, let me think... uh, wait, give me a second...
Oops, time's up! Gotta go eat. Maybe you can think of something...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is fantastic news!!! Answer to alot of prayer. So, does this mean you will become a redhead or blonde?
BTW, I gave in and joined facebook today...your turn?
Love ya,
Aunt B
Carl suggests: "Medlocks."
wow! i don't check your blog for a week and we go from thailand to oncologists. praying for you! i am sad to hear the news, but am glad to see/read that you are keeping a positive outlook.
hannah c.
Glad there was so good news in there! Ive heard good things about outcomes with those treatments. You should talk to Monica about wigs. She love them and has as ton!
aunt b: ha! maybe both?! and so far, still holding out on facebook... why? because i can! :)
carl: LOL! i like it!!
hannah: thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers!
alex: i've heard about monica and her wigs. i will definitely give her a call! :)
to everyone else who has been reading and leaving comments on previous posts: thank you for the love and support. it means so much to me. i can't even tell you. God bless!
I always wondered whether you could use your own hair to make a [euphemism of choice...John Lennon would say Hair Peace]. In books people sell their hair to make money...but am I like 150 years out of date?
There is a certain substance which is legal in California and supposed to be very good to remedy the side-effects of your unpleasant cocktail...brownies, anyone? ; )
It's good to hear that you have a positive prognosis! I'm sorry that you have the possibility of losing your hair though. :( From one gal with long locks to another: I can imagine your frustration and sorrow at the possibility. :S I'll keep you in my prayers as you go through this!
Also, thank you for encouraging me at the same time that you're going through this. It means a lot to me. :)
They write a prescription for a cranial prosthesis?! I guess then your insurance will cover it? Otherwise, what's the point? You could just head on down to the local wig shop and try new things that you've never dared try before!
Post a Comment