Say what you like about Jon Stewart of The Daily Show, the man is funny. And good-looking. Am I shallow for making such an observation? Probably, but I don't care.
What I do care about is the fact that I'm seeing a marked increase in the number of people walking around with those little cell phones that hook over their ears, like some sort of cybertronic appendage. They come into the store where I work, and sometimes they are talking, and it looks like they're talking to themselves, until they turn and I see the device clinging to the side of their heads, like some kind of metallic leech.
I'm kind of disturbed by them, in a way. They look so...robotic. And alien. Also, I have to wonder: why would anyone really want to be that accessible to people? Of course, I'm unusual in that I don't feel at all guilty when I don't answer the cell phone that I always have on vibrate anyway so that I won't be bothered by it ringing. I got my first cell phone five years ago, and the only reason I did was because I was getting pressure from friends at work who worried about me because I had (still have) a habit of going hiking in the hills by myself. So, I got a cell phone, which I dutifully took on my hikes and then discovered that it didn't get reception in the hills. I felt much safer after that.
But at least it worked on Mission Street in San Francisco, which was good, because I went down there once a week for a writing class, and let's just say it's not the least anxiety-producting area to walk around late at night when you are a lone female who doesn't know karate.
So, yes, I have a cell phone, but it does not take pictures. I don't download cool ringtones, because I think it's dumb to pay money for yet another sound on my phone, when I don't want to hear it in the first place. Sometimes I don't like answering the phone at all, so I won't. If you are one of my friends and this happens, don't take offense...just because I don't always want to talk to you doesn't mean I don't love you. Honest.
I have no idea where I'm going with this, so I'd better stop before I get there. Ciao.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So, I got a cell phone, which I dutifully took on my hikes and then discovered that it didn't get reception in the hills. I felt much safer after that.
Sounds about as good as me being insistant to bring my cellphone to Europe... only to find out that I was either massively confused or lied to by T-Mobile about my phone working in Europe... oops.
I was also looking forward to a blog on cellulite... :) And then I was looking forward to a blog that tied Jon Stewart to cellulite somehow. But non-sequitor though it may be, I enjoyed your thoughts on cell phones. I also find it bizarre to see people apparently talking to themselves only to find that they have one of those over-the-ear things. Although, I have to say I vastly prefer that to the times when I look at their ear only to discover that they really are talking to themselves, as it happened today at the library. I'm never quite sure what to do around people that are talking to themselves. Should I say hi to them AND to their imaginary friend? Or just walk by quietly and hope for the best? Pretty much always option b, but sometimes, like today, I almost feel bad for not at least attempting to make a connection with someone who obviously is looking for human contact of some kind. Or maybe just crazy... whatever the case may be.
Becca
I have an appendage. I also have cellulite. And I like men who's names exclude the redundant silent letters too.
Hannahhhhhhh
Yay! Someone else who finds Jon Stewart hot!
I used to be able to identify the mentally ill because they would often talk to them selves for periods of time...now I can't tell the difference between cell phone users and hallucinators!
Post a Comment