Friday, May 27, 2005

I'm Back

On the way to San Diego, I think I broke some laws.

It started when I stopped at In-N-Out for a bite to eat. I got my cheeseburger to go, and as I turned onto the on-ramp, my hunger couldn't contain itself, so I started eating the burger, but I also had just dialed my brother on my cell phone, so I had my phone to one ear, and one half of my iPod headphones in the other. I was not using a hands-free headset, which meant that both hands were full (one with the phone, the other with the burger), and that left me to steer with my knee. I am not actually sure how I managed to shift gears.

Oh, and I think I was speeding, too. BUT at least I was wearing my seatbelt.

On the way back to Los Angeles, I hit traffic even though it was nearly 11pm. I love traffic. It's my favorite thing about living in southern California. Especially when I drive a car with manual transmission. There's nothing like constant shifting and downshifting in stop-and-go across 3-5 lanes.

I also really like it when people go less than the speed limit in the fast lane. Or when they turn on their right or left signal, as if they are going to change lanes, and then they don't, for ages, until finally you get fed up and put the pedal to the metal to pass them, and THEN they change lanes. Right in front of you, causing you to slam on the brakes.

Mallwalkers do the same thing, by the way, only on foot, instead of in cars. It isn't any less annoying.

2 comments:

Philip said...

sounds like you had an, um, relaxing stressfree trip!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know how you feel. I read once in a traffic jam. I had the book resting on the wheel, and I would inch forward ever so slightly. No food, though. I remember one time being in a jam for two hours, and I immediately went to In-and-Out as soon as I got off the 405!