Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Nothing Much

I was a little bit zombie-like today, seeing as how I worked from 6pm-2am yesterday. I tried very hard to sleep in this morning, by which I mean that I didn't want to get up before noon if I could help it. Unfortunately, I woke up around 9am. Sigh...

And of course Leo regaled me with his usual unwelcome shrieking when I came downstairs for breakfast. (I really cannot describe how much I hate that bird.)

But things improved when I took the time to lie out in the sun for awhile.

Work was ok. Not too busy, actually, but that was good since being a zombie is not really conducive to dealng with hordes of customers. I did have one odd experience, however. An old woman and (I assume) her granddaughter came up to the register while I was working it and I asked (as I usually do), "How are you today?" and the old lady said, "Not so good." So I asked why, and she said, "Because you are going to take all my money." Ah, I thought, a joker. Well, I'll play along. But she was too much for me in the end. She was not by any means senile, but she was definitely a little strange. She said, apropos of nothing that I could tell, "So are you going to invite me over for dinner?" I laughed and said, "Trust me, your day won't get better if I cook for you." She said, "Don't you know how to cook?" and I said, "Not very well." Then she told me that she was German, which meant she was a wonderful cook. I didn't know what to say to that.

It was all a little tangential, if you ask me.

But the best part was at the end, when she leaned over the counter and said in a low voice, looking intently at me, "I'm looking for sex."

I nearly choked.

"Um, I can't really help you with that," I said when I had recovered.

"Do you know what sex is?"

"Yes."

"You do?"

She was staring at me, and suddenly I wasn't so sure. "I think so."

"What is it?"

Ok, so it's not often that someone manages to render me speechless, but this was definitely one of those occasions. If I recall correctly, my exact words in response to her persistent query were, "uuuuhhhh, hmmmm, uuuuhhh." Not my wittiest hour, to say the least.

Then she told me that my mind was in the gutter and she was referring to her dog. "His name is Sex, and I am looking for him," she said. Ooooooh!

Of course it was a joke. It's just not the sort of joke that I imagine an 80-year-old woman saying, that's all. Kind of threw me off, just a little bit.

But it definitely gave me my good laugh for the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like one bizarre encounter!! I hate it when people lure you in with idle chitchat and then bam, they've cornered you with some question or comment that stops you flat. Sometimes I feel like people should have nametags, but instead of names it should tell you their conversational style. Like, 'looks harmless, but once talking, can't stop' or 'can't converse about fluff, please engage on a deeper level' or in this case 'can emit quite strange jokes/questions that may amuse and/or offend. Beware'

:)

Becca

Anonymous said...

that same lady groped me...