Sunday, September 04, 2005

Hanging' On

I am still alive! I am not sure if that's a good thing, but I have every hope that it is, in spite of the fact that my cold has progressed to the "hacking cough" stage--my favorite. Woo-hoo.

I do hope I feel a thousand times better by tomorrow, though, because my good friend Ben is coming to town and visiting me on his way back to Minnesota from Germany. I don't know yet what we'll do, but I know it's going to be fun. Yay! Well, "yay" if I feel better, otherwise "boo" to lame illnesses that always come at a bad time.

One of the worst things about a cold, for me at least, is that I lose all interest in food (ok, Steve, you can stop looking so shocked!). I know the old adage: "Starve a fever, feed a cold," but I just can't be bothered to eat when everything I put in my mouth tastes like some version of cardboard.

I am a picky eater anyway, an aspect of myself I had never really faced up to until the other day when I was chatting with a friend online, and we started talking about food and what we like, and I kept thinking of all these things I don't like. For example, take pizza. I eat meat, but not on pizza at all, UNLESS it's ham, because I think ham and pineapple is great. But sausage and pepperoni--gross. Also I don't like olives, so if I get a veggie pizza (which I like), it has to not have olives, or I'll be picking them off, every one.

Or let's talk about eggs. I like hard-boiled eggs, and I like fried eggs. Scrambled I will eat occasionally, but it's very rare. I refuse to eat deviled eggs; the very thought is making me stick out my tongue and wrinkle my nose as I say "Bleah" right now. I also hate egg salad, and eggs IN salad (even though those would be hard-boiled which I actually do like, by themselves). During my time in New Zealand, I was horrified at the kiwi tendency to put eggs in--of all things--BURGERS. Absolute travesty. (They also put beets in burgers, which is equally horrible to me.)

Then there's guacamole: I must be the only living Californian who doesn't care for it, and actually makes a point of not eating the stuff. I don't like its nuclear-green color, which always makes me think of kryptonite, and we all know how bad that was for poor Superman. Anything that looks like something that could be the undoing of a Man of Steel superhero is a little suspect in my book.

Other things I won't eat, or only under duress: strawberries or any sort of strawberry-flavored concoction (due to the fact that a strawberry milkshake from McDonald's made me throw up when I was about 5); bananas (I can't even stand the smell of bananas), and cusheri (an Egyptian dish made of of elbow macaroni and lentils, and I am really not a fan).

So I guess I am a picky eater after all, although in my defense I did eat cow brains once. Granted, it was only because I didn't know they were cow brains, but still it has to count for something. I also tried a bite of alligator sausage several years ago. Hated it, but I did try.

All this talk of food is making me--well, not hungry because I still have the same cold I had ten minutes ago when I started writing and I still don't feel like eating. Sigh...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, and i thought I was a picky eater! My friends can't get over the fact that I hate cilantro, and anytime I'm ordering mexican food, of any kind, I add 'and no cilantro please' just to be sure.

I can't believe that in all the times we've hung out I've never realized quite how many foods you won't eat! You do a very good job of working around the pickiness I think, and that, to me, is a talent indeed!

grackyfrogg said...

that's just how i feel about bananas, pepper! one of my big pet peeves is people who eat bananas in my car on long trips, because there is no trash, so the peel stays in the car and the whole car starts to smell like bananas! i hate it. thankfully i don't share the car often on long distance drives anymore, because everyone else seems to like bananas except me.

and i should say this: i have very good manners in other people's homes, and will generally eat (or at least try to eat) whatever is put on my plate in front of me. which may account for people not knowing about my food issues (which i will grant are more about my stubbornness than about anything else, at this stage in my life).

Philip said...

banana peels in cars: that's what windows are for.

yay! i've caught back up with reading.

Say hi to The Benjiman Braff for me! that's great you get to see him again!

grackyfrogg said...

no littering!! for shame! and yes i know its biodegradable but i don't care.

i will certainly give your greetings to mr ben! will be seeing him in just a few hours, woo-hoo!!

that is the one nice thing about living in LA...so many people pass through LAX on their way to places, and sometimes i get to see them! (missed jay and erin when they were in LA area last week though...sad!)

Philip said...

i guess you don't have the luxery of living out in the country where the animals will just dispose of stuff for you, or just the natural wild surroundings. Concrete doesn't biodegrade stuff so well... ;-)

Bummer about missing jay and erin, hope they are well