Thursday, September 01, 2005

Thinking

Red wine and Blarney cheese are probably not a recipe for health, especially late at night, but I am having some anyway. I am in a pensive sort of mood; I meant to go to bed early, but I couldn't, because I started thinking.

And what am I thinking about? Oh, the little things: God, life, me. Why I (and several of my close friends) feel hostile toward church lately. Why I haven't felt like reading my Bible in months, when there was a time that I couldn't get enough of it. Why I don't feel like praying--and yet can't help myself here and there, throughout the day, when I am thinking of certain things or people.

I think it was in June when I decided I wanted God out of my life for awhile. I don't know why. I was tired, I suppose. I'd been doing the "Christian thing" so long, it had all become meaningless. I was (and am) bored by church; bored and hostile toward the unending, apparently meaningless repeitions of songs, sermons, and programs. I began to hate the routine. And I was hurt, too, by a relationship that ended before it even began, when I had had hopes. That wouldn't have been so bad, except that it was just the last one in a long line of unrequited loves, and I just had had enough. Somehow I felt like it was God's fault, all of it, and I didn't want to deal with it, or Him, anymore.

So I tried to be someone else for awhile. I tried very hard. I thought it might be nice to be just like everyone, because then maybe I wouldn't have to think about everything so much. And I didn't want to feel guilty about anything, because I have always felt guilty about everything, and I was so tired of that most of all.

But I couldn't seem to manage the transformation, for some reason. Not really. I did my best to fake it, but I couldn't believe in myself as really being that other person I was trying to be. And besides, I started to see I was doing what I hated most: living two lives, and being hypocritical to both of them. It was a strange game that I had made, where I was the only player, and I was still losing!

I suppose I shouldn't talk about it like it's all in the distant past, because it isn't. I'm still caught in it, tangled. But I hope I'm finally starting to snap out of it.

I don't want to be like everyone else.

As I've thought about all this, it occurs to me that the problem with God is that He really does get inside you--under your skin, in a way that no one else does. I can't stop thinking about Him. I catch myself praying, and I make myself stop because it seems wrong when I have been so against Him lately, but at the same time I want to pray. I want to talk to HIm, very much. I miss that most of all.

Lately I hear myself when I talk to others about God, and it's like listening to an echo of myself. The sound is there, but the sense...something is lacking. There is a vague hollowness that haunts my words, and hurts my heart.

Do I mean what I say, anymore? Do I believe it?

I do. God help me, I do.

Set up signposts,
Make landmarks;
Set your heart toward the highway,
The way in which you went...
--Jeremiah 31:21

I have chosen the way of truth...
--Psalm 119: 30

And I am resolved to love you
With whatever means are mine.
--five o' clock people

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's funny how no matter how far away I get from God, he is always there. Think he meant it when he said I will never! leave you an forsake you. Unfortunatly I can leave an forsake him, even after all the good he has done an still does for me, SORRY GOD.

grackyfrogg said...

thanks, andi. and thanks for all your support and encouragement over the last months too. my friends are better to me than i deserve...you and others have shown God to me in more ways than i've cared to notice.

thank you thank you thank you.