Monday, September 26, 2005

Top Five Pet Peeves

My creativity is at an all-time low (again--I have a lot of those, which I acknowledge as being logically impossible, but I don't care), so I thought I would write something completely and utterly frivolous. You know, for a change.

So without more ado, I submit to you, my gentle and oh-so-forbearing readers, the following list: The Frogg's Top Five Pet Peeves.

(Please understand that I'm not saying I only have five pet peeves. I'm saying these are the top five. Which is weird, because that's kind of like saying they are my favorite, but since pet peeves are things that bother you, it's hard to qualify any of them as one you like better than others. Hmmm. Oh well--again, I don't care.)

These are not in any particular order, because a pet peeve of mine is putting things in order (just kidding).

1) People who don't turn off their signal on the freeway, and spend 1-2 miles indicating that they are going to change lines in front of you, but then don't because they simply forgot to turn off the signal.

As a corollary to that particular pet peeve are the people who, when you finally decide they have forgotten to turn off their signal and then accelerate to speed past them, suddenly remember that they did, in fact, want to change lanes, and do so without bothering to check their mirrors or blind spots, prompting your sudden swerving into the next lane over to avoid hitting or getting hit by them, and narrowly being hit by the person in that.

2) People who tap me on the shoulder when they want to get my attention.

Do not ever do this. I'm not even going to say please. Just don't. Yes, I might bite.

3) Used books that have other people's notes in the margins, and their highlighted passages. (Especially if their highlighting or underlining didn't come out straight.)

I hated this in college: I would buy used textbooks to save some money, but when I opened them up and found that someone else had marked them, it would annoy me, making me breathe hard through my nose and press my lips together tight. Why did they underline/highlight that bit of text? I wouldn't have! Now I'm stuck with seeing this utterly unremarkable (to me) passage always brought to the forefront of my attention, by virtue of someone else's marking. Gah! Hate that.

4) When someone comes into the room where you are watching a movie and starts asking all these questions about it, that they would have known the answer to if they had just come in and watched it from the beginning, but now they expect a summary of everything that's happened and who all the characters are, while you are still watching and missing valuable pieces of plot.

(Okay, I have to confess I actually do that last one, sometimes. It's still a pet peeve when other people do it.)

And number five, which is probably one of my biggest pet peeves ever:

5) Complete disregard for cell phone etiquette.

For example: When you are driving somewhere with someone, and they get a call on their cell phone and answer it, and proceed to have this long conversation with someone who is somewhere else, even though you are right there with them in the car, and hey, you aren't being paid to be a chauffeur all of a sudden, are you? Sheesh.

And then there was the other day when I was at work, and a customer was on the phone (grr) and gesturing to me to come over and help him, only I didn't know that because he was one the phone, and I thought he was just gesturing along with his conversation. So I went and stood a little ways away from him, and then finally he catches my eye again and says (rudely), "What, are you on a break?" And oh, how I wish I had said, "Well, I wasn't, but I sure am now! See ya." (The other thing I wanted to say was, "GET OFF THE PHONE IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME, JERK" but I thought that might be too antagonistic, given that he was already mad and was also a lot bigger than me.)

Here is the frogg's tip of the day: Just because a phone rings, doesn't mean you have to answer it. Whoa. I know that is a huge revelation for some of you. But that's what VOICE MAIL is for, people. So people can LEAVE A MESSAGE and then you can CALL THEM BACK LATER at a more CONVENIENT TIME. Like, when you are not driving around with your friend who really doesn't want to get stuck listening to your half of a conversation with someone they probably don't know or care about. Or when you are not in a store where you are preparing to lay out a good bit of money for a computer and peripherals and expecting someone like me to help you out with said purchase.

*deep breath*

Okay, enough about me. What are some of your pet peeves? Here's your chance to vent them all!

(Hopefully one of yours isn't "girls who write long--way too long--lists about their pet peeves" or I'll feel sad.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU about the cell-phone etiquette. I agree. I am not liking this "constantly connected 24/7" culture America is building up. I have moments where I simply do not want to be found.

But I have to 'fess up. I am an underliner. I can't help myself. And I love paging through books I've read to see what I've underlined, just to see if I've changed. (Would that be a self-palimpsest?) At least I never tried to sell any of the books back, which is why we're buried under books now!

grackyfrogg said...

oh i didn't make myself clear! i like marking books up!! the more notes the better! but i don't like having books that other people have marked up. that's my job, see. :)

Anonymous said...

A BIG pet peeve of mine is when people don't put their carts away in the corral so that they stay there. (the carts I mean) Then the cart starts to move out of the cart corral and roll across the lot. People stop to watch and do nothing. I have actually been farther away and run after carts to stop them. Once I saw a car drive away to another spot when a cart was moving towards it, I mean come on! Fixing this is not rocket science

Anonymous said...

well, it's too early to really dig into the pet peeves, so I'll just add my two cents to one of yours. I also hate it when people answer their cell phone in front of me, especially if it's just the two of us hanging out.

But! If you let all your calls go to voice mail, as *some* of my friends do, you should actually return those calls that you've missed. ;) That's my pet peeve. When people don't call you back, and then you are left with the quandry, call them back? or wait for them to call you. And it just gets worse if you do call again and still no answer. Because at that point you can't really call again without being a stalker...

grackyfrogg said...

i think one of my pet peeves is also having to dial my voice mail. haha! oh the ironies...

but hey, i've been a LOT better about calling back lately, haven't i bex? :) why, sometimes i even answer the phone (when i'm not hanging out with someone else, of course) and we get to talk right away!

by the way, have i ever called you "bex" before? i kind of like it, do you? i like how it looks and sounds. i like the letter "x." i wish i could put a letter "x" in my name. hmmm, let's see:

grax. graxie. graxious.

eek. no. looks sort of cool, doesn't really sound cool. i say, "nix."

er, back to the regularly scheduled program...

Anonymous said...

you just made me laugh SO hard I cried! You crack me up! And no, i don't think you have ever called me bex, or at least not in type. And, if I get a vote, I like graxious the best, but that might just be because i almost only call you gracious. I like the way graxious sounds. You get that whiny 'a' like in gracky, but you get to finish it off with the shus sound... always a plus. :)

(Oh, and yes you are better at returning AND answering calls now. Although with this blogging it seems almost unecessary to use the phone at this point)

;)

grackyfrogg said...

poor cousin. :( it sucks, doesn't it. hurts too. but don't ever stop being you, for the sake of a boy. wait for the one who wants and loves you, dear, and leave the others behind.

don't despair, noblelady. i say that as one who knows how hard it is not to. but don't.

Philip said...

gracky, put your voicemail number into a speed dial number :-p

grackyfrogg said...

um...it is on speed dial! haha!

i just don't like having to listen to that woman's voice telling me that i have messages and so on. i mean, i know i have a message, that's why i dialed the number! to check my messages! why can't we just go straight to them!

hmmm, seems i've uncovered another pet peeve...yikes! :)