Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Another Dilemma of the Moment

I'm going to be famous for these eventually, I just know it.

But anyway, my current quandary revolves around upcoming (tentative) travel plans. As some of you may know, my brother the Woundedbug (who has embraced his pod person identity, as I can see from the sub-head on his web page) is livin' it up in Honduras and we both thought it would be rather an excellent idea if I went to visit while he was there. The only problem is the lack of appreciable amounts of dinero on my part.

So I'm trying to get creative, checking out all the travel websites, and my frequent-flier miles account, and here are my choices du jour:

1) I can bite the financial bullet and just shell out the almost-$600 for a flight into San Pedro Sula Airport, Honduras--the closest airport to my brother.

2) I can use my frequent-flier miles for a free seat to El Salvador, where my brother could meet me, and we'll just hang out there instead of in Honduras.

3) Again, I can use my frequent-flier miles for a free seat to El Salvador, where I can then hop onto a charter bus for 7 hours (after the 6 hour flight) to my brother's city.

Of course, if I were a pod person like Woundedbug, I would just saunter up to the airline ticket counter at LAX, smile winningly at the agents, and they would just be so grateful that I would honor them with the simple charm of my mere presence that they would all but force me to accept tickets for free--and probably some drink vouchers to go with them.

Because that's the kind of life a pod person leads, according to my sisterly observations.

As a normal, everyday, non-pod person human being, I am kind of leaning toward #2 right now, though the one caveat is that then I will have less than 20,000 frequent flier miles in the bank, meaning I have to start building all over again--and right now I am only 1,000 miles away from a free trip to Europe!

The third option is sort of viable, except that I'm not entirely sure I like the idea of being a woman traveling alone on a bus in Central America for any extended length of time.

So I ask you: what's an adventure-loving, financially prudent, safety-conscious, thoroughly human girl to do?

No comments: