...my first piano recital in 13 years! Woo-hoo!
Ok, so it isn't the first time in 13 years that I've played in front of an audience. But it IS the first time I've performed a piece of classical music in anything like a formal setting, so I admit I was nervous. As in, my hands were literally shaking, and my palms were literally sweating. Which is a little awkward when playing the piano, because, as you may imagine, you kind of need to use your hands.
Well, I can't say I didn't make mistakes. I mean, I'd like to say that, but I'd be lying. Let's just say it could have been better, but it also could have been a whole lot worse! Considering that I only got the entire piece (three movements, Mozart's Sonata in C Major, K545) memorized about two weeks ago, I was pleased that I made it all the way through without the music.
All in all, there were about seven students, of varying ability and age. Thankfully, there were no child prodigies in attendance to play (ha) on my insecurities. Not that that wouldn't have been a privilege to hear some 4-year-old trotting out a Chopin Impromptu, but it would have been just a teensy bit demoralizing too.
One of the best players, in my opinion, was not the most advanced, not by a long shot. She had only just started learning, and she looked to be in her 40s. She played three pieces, and none of them were more than three lines, but her hand position and technique and musicality were excellent; she looked more comfortable at the keys than another girl who had been taking lessons for 14 years.
One thing that occurred to me while listening to everyone play, and in playing myself, was that the hardest thing when performing at the piano is being able to tap into the emotion of a piece, where you forget that people are watching you, where the music takes on a life of its own, and what matters is what's being evoked in the hearts of the performer and listeners. There was a boy who played Beethoven, and though he managed it well from a technical standpoint, there was little of the passion and life that Beethoven poured into his work. He got a little braver with the Gershwin, so maybe it was just nerves, but it just made me think how much more difficult it is to play the spirit of the piece, and not just the notes.
Anyway it was a fun afternoon, and educational, too; I'm glad I had the chance to be a part of the program. And while I could hardly say I turned out the best performance of my life, I was impressed that I still remembered the training that was drilled into me when I was younger: When you make a mistake, don't make a sign! Act like nothing happened, and just keep going.
And that, believe me, is a LOT harder than it sounds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know, I'm always a little weirded out by performers that make a mistake and have no physical acknowledgement of it. Not that I think people should twitch or start sobbing uncontrollably, but I do almost see it as a, yeah, you heard it and I heard it, but let's move on, sort of thing.
But I'm probably more than a little strange in my opinion here.
Post a Comment