A friend sent me a link to a video, of a woman who is part of the Westborough Baptist church. The woman was being interviewed on "Hannity & Colmes." Westborough Baptist has been in the news, because the members have a habit of protesting at military funerals, carrying signs that say, "God hates you," "Thank God for 9/11" and "Don't worship the dead." They say that every dead soldier is a judgment from God on a nation that has turned away from Him. They say that God is allowing these soldiers to die because they are in the service of a country that has turned its back on God.
As I listened to this woman, I felt sick. She was horrible, just horrible. How can she think it's morally acceptable to be cruel to people who are hurting over the loss of loved ones? How can she hate people in the name of God? How can she tell other people that God hates them, and feel good about it? What God is she talking about? I don't know him.
Thank God I don't.
Her words and demeanor were so chilling. But while her coldness frightened me, and her words made me angry, they also gave me pause--that I ought to be careful to see the areas in my own heart where i have not allowed an understanding of the deep, rich grace of God to permeate my thinking. Even now I'm recalling hard, mean things that I have said about other people, and sweeping judgments I have made. Not in the far distant past, either. I am far more critical than not, I'm afraid. And I wonder if, on the inside, I look so very different from that woman on the video.
I want to cry when I think about it. I am crying.
I know very well that I am not such a good example of whatever people mean when they say the word "Christian." To be honest, there are times when I can't figure out what I mean anymore by it. I know what I try to be, but I also know how often I don't succeed.
What I know most of all is this:
God is not the sum of my--or anyone else's--imperfections.
And thank God he isn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You have allowed an individual (who masquerades with a mask of divinity), the organization they speak for and their propaganda, to emotionally test your core beliefs and perhaps seed doubt within you?!?!
A person and organization who are on the Southern Poverty Law Center's radar screen?
Had this woman donned a pillowcase and uttered the same words, would she have elicited the same reaction from you? Or, would have you dismissed every syllable?
Tsk tsk tsk.
Never forget 'bout them false prophets missy.....they be lurking 'round every corner.
*!*
no, she did not test my core beliefs. she only reminded me of what anyone--including myself--could be, without an understanding of what the grace of God really is. when people get hold of theology and leave out the grace, that's what happens to them, and it's a travesty.
my core beliefs about the nature of God and who he is were never shaken, listening to her. if anything, they were strengthened.
but thank you for the reminder about false prophets. that's true enough.
I'm sorry. I'm a little confused by your response.
"...........without an understanding of what the grace of God really is. when people get hold of theology and leave out the grace, that's what happens to them, and it's a travesty."
The dictionary defines the word "grace" as: 1). The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God. 2). An excellence or power granted by God.
Certainly the woman who elicited that emotional reaction from you is convinced that she has "grace" bestowed upon her by God. Otherwise, she would not be so confidant and assured to point her finger at a national TV audience.
So, does she or does she not have grace? Can you be a true arbiter?
Coincidentally, in regard to the subject of false prophets, I learned this morning while reading the newspaper that The Vatican has found some false prophets (of all places) in China! Ain't it sumthang??? Them Chinese be takin' the knock-off/piracy issue to a whole new level, eh? What a hoot!!!
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/20060505-0627-vatican-china.html
*!*
i like arbiting. it's fun! :P
ok but seriously, i think i am just not explaining myself well. what i'm trying to say is this. the grace of God, if properly understood, should transform a person to become more gracious to others. those who believe in Christ ought to strive to be instruments of that grace in the world. of course, too often, we fail in that goal. and this is what i am sorry for, both personally and in a collective sense. it can't really be helped, because we are all human after all... but it still sucks--to use a technical term (just kidding).
also, while not all believers may end up on the extreme fringe that this woman occupies, our practical misunderstanding of what grace means in our own lives can do damage to those around us who only know anything about Christ because of what we exhibit in our actions, etc.
finally, i am trying to say that grace shouldn't lead to pointing fingers, because grace knows that for the one finger you point at someone else, there are four more pointing back at you! a trite cliche? sure. but i tend to think that it's true, at least in my own case. can't speak for anyone else...
finally finally, i should make it clear that even after hundreds of years of being a Christian myself (ok ok only 27 years, but sometimes it FEELS like hundreds!), i haven't got all the answers. which may come as a shock to some of my readers--not that i don't have the answers, but that i would admit to not having them! ;)
but i do think alot about the questions. yes, i do.
"Ridiculous" is my favorite word right now and I find it useful when referring to what came out of this Westborough Baptist woman's mouth (which supposedly is an overflow of her heart).
She never once objectively said "THIS IS OUR SOLUTION" - only, "YOU DO NOT OBEY! BLA BLA BLA. DIE!"
One of the most popularly recited scripture which I believe contradicts her "God hates you" campaign contains the touted truth "For God so loved the World that..." and it explains just exactly how much He loved (loves) us humans. (It's found in John 3:16 if you're just tuning into the scriptures.)
He who has been forgiven much, loves much. Which is why people all caught up with religiosity miss the whole point.
Word.
Post a Comment