Thursday, May 04, 2006

Back To School Dreams

Well, I recently had my first bad dream about school. Which is a little weird, seeing as how I don't even start school until November. Maybe I'm more nervous than I thought!

To understand the dream, I need to explain the nature of the program a little. The deal is, you go to the campus for 10 days at the start of every semester. During that time, you participate in workshops, attend lectures, do assignments, and have meetings with a mentor, with whom you'll work throughout the rest of the semester. Once the 10 days are up, everyone goes back home, and gets on with their lives, with the added responsibility of studying and writing their butts off in a sort of independent study format, sending off packets of writing to their mentor every three weeks for feedback, etc.

Ok. So in my dream, it was the start of the semester. I had just flown out to the campus and somehow met up with one of my brothers there (which was odd, because none of them live in Kentucky). We hung out the night before my first day of classes/lectures. Apparently we had too good of a time (I don't remember what we did), because the following day, I show up for class--hours late. As in, I slept in til about noon, and then scrambled like an insane person to get to the lecture room by 1pm. When I got there everyone was like, "Oh, THERE you are!" Then I get all these packets of papers (assignments, I guess), and for the rest of the dream, I was in a panic because I realized something.

I couldn't think of a SINGLE THING to write.

All I had in my head were titles of stories, and none of those were particularly compelling either. (One of them, I recall, was the single word "Inventions." Ugh, what kind of title is that?!) And I thought, "This is going to be... interesting."

I woke up just a little bit depressed.

It would be nice to think that the older we get, the less likely we are to have these kind of anxiety dreams, but maybe I'm just not that old yet. (Whew, silver lining!)

Oh well, at least I didn't miss school entirely in my dream. I remember when I was in high school studying for AP exams, I dreamed that I actually showed up for the test the day AFTER it was given. Talk about about panic! I was so freaked out in my dream, I think I woke myself up!

Anyone else care to share a "favorite" anxiety dream?

No comments: